Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's everyone using to hold their junk down?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84k5, Jun 10, 2003.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

What\'s everyone using to hold their junk down?

As far as mounts and straps or whatever.

For mounts I guess I can either bolt something to the floor, or I saw something about using the bolts that hold the top on when I searched. A little info on this or a pic would be great.

As far as what to use to actually hold stuff down...ideas??? Are those bungee rope net things strong enough to hold 200 pounds (I travel in style ) of junk upside down?

All ideas and pics welcome.

Just trying to protect the old noggin. Thanks.

2. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Re: What\'s everyone using to hold their junk down?

I like using motorcycle straps to secure things, strong, easy to carry extra's, and will tighten up real quick.

I have not set-up any thing in my truck yet, but was thinking of eye bolts bolted through the floor with big washers for extra holding power. I am not real fond of bungee cords for securing things cause they have a certain amount of give, where as a motorcycle strap does not.

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

bungee cordes is not the way you want to go. I use rope (I am good with knots), guick pull tie downs or for the heaver stuff I use ratchet strap tie downs. As for what to hook them to that is another story. You want to lash objects to the floor...but GM didn't put any anchors down there (unless you have the rear seat out you can hook to the anchors for it). My rear seat bolts in so when it is out I have nothing to hook to.

I am open to sugestions! I want something that will mount down in the corigations of the bed floor and be flush with the raised portions when not in use. I haven't found anything that would work well. What I really want is a small version of this:
    [​IMG]
    I just haven't been able to find the correct size yet (that one might be close?)

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I have tie downs just like that in my pickup and will be putting them in my K5 as well. I noticed a lack of attachment points this past weekend as well. They will raise up just a bit, but they're beefy and lay mostly flat when not in use. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ratchet straps and grade 8 bolts. My storage box is BOLTED to the floor so nothing in it can go anywhere. My local Ace hardware had some spring loaded tie downs. I put four of those in and I also have Eye bolts that will thread into the bolt holes for the seat if I pull the back seat for overnighters without the family. No rattle when not in use with the spring loaded tie downs. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I haven't found anything that would mount flush enough and still be strong as hell!!
    I use big eye bolts and Ratchet straps to hold the heavy stuff to the floor and then I use a cargo net with tarp to keep all the light stuff(sleeping bags & such)nice and secure. I run full convetable(safari style for long road trips) so everthing must be secured. here is a FULLY PACKED pic....
    [​IMG]

7. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I've seen some tye down eyes in the back of one of the newer ('98?) S-10 Blazers, that fold down flush. I'm thinkin' I could probably salvage some from a wreck. Would work real well with ratchet straps.

John

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I have these eye bolt hybrid thingy's I picked up at the local Mega-Lo-Mart(that's Walmart for those of you who don't watch King of the Hill /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) Their basically a bolt that's hollowed out with threads in the hollowed out section so you thread a eye bolt into the 'anchor' bolt. So when you unscrew the eye bolt the anchor bolt remains flush with the floor and when you need to strap something down you screw in the appropriate eye bolt and voila! If that makes any sense! As for bungee cords, I would steer clear of them, not strong enough IMO. Use ratchet straps. Just remember if you can't decide if you should tie something down, just have a buddy drop it on your face, that usually clears things up... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Im not sure where I saw them, might have been JC Whitney, but there are spring loaded anchor points that pop up for use and push down flush when not using. As for straps or whatever, motorcycle tiedowns are cheap and easy for smaller stuff, but for larger things like 200 lbs I would use rachet straps. Home Depot sells 10,000Lbs max load rachet straps for only 12 bucks a piece. I have 4 of them and they work great. They are also very long in case you need to engineer something.

10. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Here is a pic of the eye-bolts on the bed rail: [​IMG]

They are fairly strong but for a truck full of gear you will need an assortment of tie down hooks in various locations. Spread the load out and use as many hooks as you can. I second tie-downs or ratchet straps.

Last wheelin trip we did some NASTY downhills. At one point the Wife looked back and said "hey, look at that!". We put he ice chest in back with a tie-down through the handles attached to the 2 rear eye-bolts - the ice chest was hanging on the strap with the entire bottom visible to us. That worked out good because if it was hard mounted it would have spilled. Probably reaching the upper limit of the eye-bolts because the ice chest was large and full.

11. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Anyone ever try these Secur-it Tie Downs?

I have been thinking about it.

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I think I like that eye-bolt idea. I could just weld some tall nuts to some plate and weld that to the bed (1/4" plate on the inside of the bed with the nut sticking out a hole below?). Then I could just carry a bunch of eye-bolts and screw them in wherever I need to use them. That sounds like a great idea!!

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Our '91 S-Jimmy and '94 Suburban both came with some very sturdy folding tie down points in the cargo area. If you mount them in the low part of the ribs on the bed then they're fairly flush with the high part. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

14. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

That's basically the same design as I have in my bed...

15. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Yep...now I just need a welder /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

another thing u can do if u have a roll cage is to replace one of the floor plate bolts with an eye-bolt. this gives u a tiedown with SERIOUS strength if u need to tie down somethin really heavy like biiig tires or axles or whatever.

j

17. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Those are the mounting system for the cargo net on commerical aircraft. They are designed to work as a system of many anchor bumps not just as one strap accross the top. If you are willing to drop the coin on the parts and then have a real cargo net made they would be great. Also those nut are not normally use w/ that system. Just an FYI.
    As far as anyone out there using them, if you have checked a bag on a major airline (Delta, ect) then you have used them!

18. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

19. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

I use big ammo cans. I bought one humvee bracket to lock down two of them and welded up some others.

20. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I put it all in boxes and tie down with ratchet straps. I used eyebolts, seat anchors, cage feet, etc, now most of that's gone so I get creative.
    One idea that may work for you too is pulling the 5/16" bolts that hold the factory floorboard down and replaceing a couple of them with eye bolts. That could give you some anchor points at the front of the bed.