Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whats goin on here?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eightyone, May 4, 2004.

1. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

well, i was planning on swaping out my automatic tranny from my 71 blazer wich i thought had a 305 in it...i bought a hydro clutch from a 85 suburban, and i have an sm465 out of my old 81 blazer with a 350, the problem is here...i went to put the flywheel/flex plate (not sure what its called for manuel tranny) onto the motor, and it is way to big /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif does anyone know what this motor could be? i was under the impresion that 305's were pretty similar to 350's? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif any help would be apreciated since this project is on hold. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

is the motor a 1 peice main seal? in 86 they went to a 1 peice rear main seal, and the flywheel is different. also the 1 piece motors have a externally ballanced engine, is there a wieght on the old flywheel?

3. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

there was a weight on the old flywheel, does this mean the mtor is newwer than 86? and could i just get a new flywheel and reuse my old clutch, thanks for the info. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

it probably is, can you see the seal with the flywheel off? if so then you have the wrong flywheel.
    yes if you can find a flywheel from a 86 or newer truck, the pressure plate should bolt up. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

thank you so much for that info, i was gettin worried id need to buy a new clutch, or even worse, the motor was gunna be useless with the tranny i had, thanks again for sharing your knowledge...back tot he junk yard... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

Why don't you post up the casting number and we can figure out exactly what it is for you. The casting number is on the bellhouseing flange on back of the motor top driver side. Also check the little pad that is sticking out behind the alternater where the head sits. If it hasn't been decked then there will be a vin stamped there and a 2 or 3 digit suffix code which will narrow it down further what it came out of. Post them up and will look in my little book or you can check www.mortec.com I think they have casting and suffix codes posted there. Then you can figure out exactly what you need.