Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats Goin On With My Motor?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Sep 19, 2005.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

well i went mudding the other day and everything was fine......today after work i jump in my truck and go to cruise it through town to the carwash and it starts ticking.....then backfiring through the carb like crazy, at idle it would just miss alittle then give it gas it would backfire like crazy.....but it wasnt the timing because most all the power was still there.....i tried to limp it home and out of no where it just cleared up......i pulled over and checked under the hood and i blew about 3 vacuum caps off, i put them back on but now i think i got a dead cylinder it still has gobs of power just idles rough.....did i drop a valve or something? where do i start here?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2005
  2. bigbadchev84

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

First thing to check is for moisture inside the distributor cap. Ya probably just got some water on the engine while playing in the mud.

4. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

Mud is EVIL!! It gets everywhere! Check to make sure all your carb linkages are working and also check all your plug wires.

5. bigbadchev84

would that have caused the ticking noise though? it almost sounded like a lifter ticking or a rocker arm loose......then it would backfire through the carb like mad then just went away but i for sure have a dead cylinder just by the way it is idleing.......

6. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

def sounds like some mud/water down in ur engine.. bad bad flush it out big time..... thats why i retired from mud b4 it killed me

7. bigbadchev84

ok guys well i checked the cap and it was fine, i had the motor running at an idle and was listening when i felt the driver side valve cover i felt a ticking, so i pulled the cover off to find the #1 cylinder rocker arms all messed up, the intake rocker nut was almost completely backed off, and the exaust pushrod is slightly bent, should i just toss new rods in and go???? is there anything else that i should check? thanks guys

8. 4wheelattitude

4wheelattitude 1/2 ton status

WoW! But it ran fine when you parked it from mudding?? It wouldn't cost you much to throw a new push rod in and give that a try. If something is messed up it won't be any worse after you replaced the push rod. Make sure the threads didn't stip on the stud or nut for the rocker. Also make sure the cylinder is clear of the "evil" mud and water. Probably what caused the problem anyway. If you want to make certain of damage you will need to pull the head and check valves and cylinder and go from there. And keep that stuff out of the engine! Good luck!

9. bigbadchev84

ok well i just went to autozone and got 2 new pushrods....the exaust was bent, but now the intake rocker nut is like really loose when it is adjusted to where it needs to be.... do i just put some thread locker on that?

10. 4wheelattitude

NO! you must change the stud or the nut whatever is stripped. Preferably both the nut and the stud.

11. bigbadchev84

niether was stripped, i checked them both really careful, i didnt have any locktite so i used epoxy, i just drove it around town for about an hour and everything still seems fine

12. 4wheelattitude

Great! I'm glad it's not that bad. Now get that truck cleaned up!