Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats going on, carb??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 74chelsea, Dec 2, 2001.

1. 74chelsea

74chelsea Registered Member

So Im driving around last night in my74 blazer with a 3 year old crate 350 4 bolt, and new 4 bbl street dominator holley carb, and i come up to a stop light to fast and have to stop pretty fast, not screeching tires or anything, but a swift deceleration. and after my truck rocks back to stop she cuts off. She started up just fine, but why the hell did she cut off. After that now whenever i slow down to a stop the engine chokes and sputters and jumps like its goin to cut off but doesnt.??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ANY IDEAS, i suspect some carbuerator problem, but i wanna see if anyone has any better sugestions or experience. so any help is appreciated

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

My 84 does the same thing........If I have to come to a quick stop, the truck will start to bog out and I can actually smell the exhaust getting rich. After a few seconds, things will clear out and the idle will retuirn to normal.

The same kind of thing happens if I go really hard off the line and then let off the gas after a few seconds. I can actually smell gas in the cab for a few seconds.

I'm sure it's just something out of adjustment, but to eliminate the above I've just altered my drving style...........It's worked for me!!!!!

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Welcome to the wonderful world of Holleys.
    Your fuel level may be too high in the float bowls.I would ckeck that first.You also should install a anti- slosh kit if you plan on taking your truck off road.
    If that dont work. Sell the holley and get a Qudra-Jet

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze</a>
    <font color=blue>NEVADA: Where the pavement ends, and the West begins.</font color=blue>

4. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

float level way too high on the secondary side for decel, primary side for accel
    a simple piece of fuel/vacuum line connecting one bowl vent to the other with a small hole cut into it at its highest point, or better yet a T fitting, should allow any sloshed fuel to fall into the opposite bowl rather then into the carb/intake
    same could be done just by extending the vent line up into the air cleaner and forward as far as possible for the front bowl and rearward as far as possible for the rear.

5. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

sorry I responded to the wrong guy
    hard to get used to this forum style

6. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Get a Quadrajet!!

74 Blazer
    Zepplin
    Check out my Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976>http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976</a>

7. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

some sort of fuel injection is the full answer
    any 'controlled leak' will have angle limitations and float bowl difficulties, just different problems/limitations
    if road racers and drag racers can successfully run holleys with the g loads they impose you had better be able to figure it out on a street vehicle
    if you cant get a holley to run you will be lost beyond belief trying to figure out metering rods and airvalve doors

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I don't see too many of them in stop and go traffic...[​IMG], but seriously though, most Holley and performance carbs are designed to do one thing and do it well.. and that is dump fuel. They do experience much more "G" force than the average grocery getter, but the forces are usually experienced under high rpms (breaking going into corners, but also downshifting which brings the rpms up and allows the fuel to burn) whereas on the street, you just come to a stop (and rpms approach idle). Racing carbs are also heavily modified and initially set up for racing and the demands of racing. They would load up in stop and go traffic, and the same is true for out of the box carbs, they would perform poorly in all out race conditions. Some manufactures promote (as Holley) performance street carbs (and they have their purpose), but for an all around everday driver/weekend warrior the q-jet is a better selection. It is also more "complex" as you say, but that complexity helps them to better acclimate to changing driving conditions (as a daily driver would see) and climates. They are usually more "forgiving", but you are correct that they can be hard to set-up for "Maximum Performance". Trust me, I have a Holley set up for when I pull (definitely don't run out of fuel), but I have a Q-jet for daily driving and towing....and I do know how to adjust carbs properly. I'm not saying don't use a Holley, Carter, AFB, Edlebrock (unless it's the reproduction Q-jet), but I feel (one man's opinion here), the Q-jet would be a better carb for his semi-performance application with good driveability qualities (which is seems he is looking for).

With that said, you should be able to overcome the stalling issue with that carburetor. It sounds as if one or both floats are misadjusted, and just for kicks check to make sure your choke linkage his hooked up and working properly (is it electric or mechanical).

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

9. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

Actually you just dont know where to look for holleys in daily drivers
    the aftermarket is a small part of Holley
    ford trucks and cars up until 1985 use holley 4barrel carbs
    460s in 1979 trucks had them
    my 1985 mustang has one
    I have one on my chev
    all of them run flawless in their daily driver roll
    the most common model 1850 600cfm vacuum sec was factory ?60s? t bird OEM

10. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

I dont find the quadrajet complex, just strange
    goofy little linkages all over it,
    poorly designed accel pump with wear prone o rings (usually all that needs replacing on a 'rebuild')
    the float seems like an open vessel

I took one off my chev so that i could have a normal electric choke that works, fewer moving parts, an endless source of information

every piece has good and bad points, but to blanket statement 'the cure for incorrectly set floats is to buy a quadrajet' seems a bit extreme

i run a standard 600 electric choke holley on my chev, other then playing with the float settings and idle speed when i installed it and once more when i had the secondary level too high, both externally adjustable with the carb on the engine, I havent touched it since i bought it in 1994-5.

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

every piece has good and bad points, but to blanket statement 'the cure for incorrectly set floats is to buy a quadrajet' seems a bit extreme

<hr></blockquote>
    Agreed, AND I did say he should be able to fix his problem with float and/or choke adjustment not that he "had to get a Q-jet to solve his problems". You are also correct that Holley teamed up with the auto industry and built carburetors for stock motors that were "street friendly". These carbs are not the ones used on racers (as was implied) nor are these the same (to my knowledge) as the "aftermarket" Holleys. The "dominator" carb he spoke of in the original post is not the same type of Holley you are alluding too. That was my point, and I assumed (probably correctly) that the original carb on his engine was a Q-jet, so that if he bought the correct Q-jet for his application, he would be "better" off (not meant as a blanket cure for misadjusted floats).

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yup definitaly sounds like fuel is sloshin into your intake!

And for the other descusion I would like to comment. I Just, Sunday, tore down soaked and rebuilt my Edelbrock 1901 Q-Jet after 6yrs of service. I have had it apart before to swap the primaries out but never totaly apart. It was actully very easy. I have read over and over that folks think a Q-Jet is more complex of a carb. Now I ain't never tore into a Holly so mabie thoes are SUPER simple but my thought is that the Q-jet is not dificult at all. And a vacume gage is all that is needed to adjust. It take a few time to get use to adjusting it but I was able to doit.
    For off road carburator the Q-Jet wins! Weather its a steep hill climb, bouncy fire road, thrashin in the sand,hammer down thru a mod bog,crawlin up a riverbed my Q-jet keeps on pumpin and squirtin........
    .02c [​IMG]

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4</a>