Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's going on with the greasable spring bushings?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thatK30guy, Sep 2, 2002.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

What\'s going on with the greasable spring bushings?

Lately I've been reading here and there that some of you guys running the greasable bushings are having trouble with them "wearing out."

Explain in full details of what's wrong with these bushings so we know in advance to whether we want to buy some or not.

2. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Re: What\'s going on with the greasable spring bushings?

Mine dont wear out they bust. I think it is because they are being used way outside their design limits. When I was mud bogging and moderate wheeling I was getting 3-4yrs out of them. Now with 38's and much abuse the break more often. Unless you wheel hard alot they will work just fine and have a long life.

3. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

the problem i have is one of the bushings cracked, not necessarily worn just cracked on one side of the bushing.

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Same thing has been on my mind Wes, and have no doubt- Thinking on the same line as Wes freaks me out.... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Not that I really know whats going on, or how those bushings fit (or any other details about them, but I would really like to see some pic and details).

I think if someone was to run one-half hard polly bushing and one-half soft greaseable bushing, it would probably get the job done. (allow the buhing to flex, yet hold it in place at the same-time).

I have a hard polly bushing on the in-board side of my shackles, and a soft rubber bushing on the out-board side. This set-up allows the shackles/springs to twist when flexed out. But holds the bolt in the center when at rest.
    The only problem is that the rubber bushing is too-soft and has all-ready deformed prematurly. So I need something just a little bit stiffer than the rubber bushing.

In a nut-shell, split the bushing with 1/2 hard and 1/2 soft.

Just my thoughts on it,

5. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting

Mine cracked in Moab and I had to search for new one that Sunday which blew the run I wanted to do. Everything we do is extreme and I'm willing to pay for the best (which I thought I did). Nothing against ORD but I don't think I will use Daystar bushing again. I'm going to dump the whole set and switch to Energy Suspension /forums/images/icons/frown.gif . If there was a warranty on them, I'm sure someone would be bumming besides me.
    Oh, mine are about 1-1/2 years old with only 3 trips to Moab and a half dozen local trips and I'm easy on my truck.
    Once again, nothing against ORD, they didn't make them.

6. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

In about ~ 1 year or a little over, I've busted quite a few of them. Replaced with new and same thing. ORD tells me it may be a bad batch of Urethane, so who knows...
    I'm carrying spares now, but I think I will make the switch to ES down the road. I remember their bushings being much more solid, but that's not necessarily saying that's a good thing /forums/images/icons/confused.gif
    Boss

7. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

I agree- I've busted several front eye and shackle (all on the front leaf) bushings as well. Watson has told me too that they had received a bad run. But hell, these were purchased at diff times....who knows.
    I do know that I won't go away from greaseable sets....does anybody else make them?

8. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

What is breaking, the drilled bolt or the bushing itself? And is it only the greasable ones that are breaking or any purchased from ORD?

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

wow Wes
    I didnt think this topic would be allowed here
    this topic was on my mind as well after reading someone 'broke' a bushing

10. Boss

The bushings themself are busting. I need to take some pics of these I just replaced to show yall. I'm about to send them back to ORD so they can examine. There is only a 6 mo. warranty with their bushings, so you have to buy new every time (if after 6 mo). Replacing bushings twice a year can get old real quick. I busted the one in the front of the front spring, busted both ones on the front shackles (that go into the frame), busted both ones on the rear shackle (that's in the leaf). First time this happened was roughly about 8 months ago, (only 2 ripped, and they were the ones in the rear leaf) when they were a few months old. Then I replaced the busted ones, and ~ 7 months later, again! except this time, I busted a few more /forums/images/icons/frown.gif. Turned a 5 hour trip into a 10 hour trip!
    Boss
    ps, Not knocking on ORD, they treated me fairly. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Like someone mentioned above, the bushings they sell are from Daystar.

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

do you have a thread in the ORD section on this?
    if the product is NFG he should be recalling it

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Wow, I'm sooooo glad I didn't spend all that money on ORD's high dollar bushings now!

13. Boss

I did have a post on the ORD board a very long time ago. The first time this happened...so ~ 8 mo. ago. I think the title was "What's the warranty on ORD bushings", or something like that. At that time, since they were only 3 months old/new, he replaced them no charge.

After he takes a look at the ones about to send him back, he said he may strongly consider going elsewhere for bushings. This was when I talked to him on phone a couple weeks ago... I'll take some pics soon to show yall...
    Boss

14. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

does anyone know what the strongest long lasting bushing is.im not worried so much about flexing i just dont want to have to replace them again after i go through the trouble of replacing them now.and also where can i get them.i dont want the greasable as its just one more thing i have to lube monthly.thanx in advance

15. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Wow, so I'm not the only one, huh? Like the rest of y'all, I have sent back MANY bushings to Steve to look at after they just plain fell apart. In fact, I just mailed back 6 of them 2 weeks ago for him to look at. Last time, I ordered 4 sets of them (8 spring bushings, 8 frame bushings), and I am all out of the frame bushings, and have only two spring bushings left! And this hasn't even been a year yet! That's right, these Daystar bushings SUCK! No knock on Steve at all, cause he bought half of them last time for me and I paid the other half, so he is trying his best to deal with a bad situation. However, I don't know if I buy the "bad batch" theory anymore, cause I have been going through these things for like 2 years now...

I was saving my last pair of frame bushings for the Rubicon trip, but I had to use them after a recent 4 wheeling trip, so am now looking desperately for some replacements! Get this - I replaced the frame bushings BEFORE the last 4 wheeling trip, and after one weekend of wheeling, they are trashed again! They just crack and rip apart...not exactly what you expect to get after paying good money.

Oh, and one other thing to take note of: These bushings led to my most recent bout with the death wobble, so those of you with the DW - check your bushings! As soon as I replaced them with new (unbroken ones), the DW was gone and it stayed gone...now my bushings are trashed again and I am getting a small wobble every now and then...

Sorry for the length here, but just venting some frustration! And if anyone finds a worthwhile replacement, PLEASE post it here!

Thanks,

16. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Wow, I've been using Energy Suspension bushings in everything and haven't had any problems at all.. but now I feel like I should go dis-assemble my rig and inspect them just in case. Whats to keep people from using the Energy ones and drilling their bolts for zirks to make them greasable? Thats what I've done and it seams to work. I haven't replaced my front shackle bushings though, not sure if energy makes those.

17. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

This has me worried too. I just put Daystar's throughout on mine... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif Only thing not new is my front frame side shackles (waiting till I relocate it) and the new F150s in the back (just because I ran out of time). I think I will be looking for HS on the rest and watching what I have closely…

18. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Mike, the ORD greaseable bushings have several notches molded into them to allow the grease to travel around a bit.

I hope this is not the reason they tend to split...
    Every bushing I have ordered has been red. Are you guys splitting other colors as well?

Does anyone else make a greaseable bushing???

19. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

I just replaced my frame shackle front spring bushings with energy suspension. They work great and fit well. I have no experience with ord bushings at all.
    Blake

20. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I dunno about all the 'not knockin Steve' stuff.
    by these posts he is aware they are failing and keeps selling them...
    the 'bad batch' thing is hard to say without knowing the run size or turn over

I have only had sleeves welding themselves to bolts problems with my urethane stuff.
    even then other then the damage I do on trying to disassemble they look good enough to reuse