Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whats happeinging to amrerican truck companies

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MEPR, May 30, 2003.

1. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

Well i have been looking into the technical of a truck to buy and right now the truck thats out in front by a longshot and hands down is a Nissan. Shure it cant tow as much (just as much as i need it to) but heres the big thing. The frames, boxed whith 6 welded cross members (same style as my luv and let me tell you that frme dosnt flex one bit). Second is the warenty, heres where things get realy interesting. Ford Chevy and Dodge warenties are void if you lift the rig and put bigger tires on em, in some cases there is even a "normal ware" clause which dosnt cover off road breakage. The nissan warenty says that the only thing they wont fix when a truck has been lifted is the suspension. And they will even fix stuff like axles blowing up becouse of off roading and good hard abuse. So shure the little Nissans are a bit under powered but so far its no contest, if Toyota and Isuzu cant match that ill be buying Nissan. Sorry for the rant.

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

hmm... you'd better check with the local dealerships warranty administrator... because we have a 99 blazer... they wont void the warranty if it's lifted or dropped... just a thought... but would you lift a nissan anyways?

3. Gray Blaze

Gray Blaze Registered Member

YOU NEED TO GO TO , JAP- CRAP .COM /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

thats what the warenty guys told me is that it would be void if i lifted it and ran bigger tires. Nissan dosnt do that, they still cover everything but suspension whith the bigger tires and lift. So far it looks like the "jap-crap" is a better truck sorry to say... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

"jap crap" hah, i love that....i have an 87 toyota turbo 4runner thats pretty darned tough, you could buy it... and i wont even void the warranty if you break something LOL

6. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

you guys are kinda missing a big point of this little rant of mine. Things realy arent made like thier used to and Perterson 4x4 off road even proves that the new American trucks are lacking becouse they rated a Toyta as the highest over all. Just kinda stuff that happens /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

The answer is, Quality. The Japanese have quality down pat, the big three, are getting there, but still not quite there yet.

Remember having a new GM or Ford in the driveway, or garage, and having a pool of anti-freeze, or oil under it? That was the norm for the big 3, not so for the Japanese.

Like I said the big 3 are getting closer, but no prize yet.

8. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I can understand what your saying, but I will never own a jap car/truck. Be American, buy American. Over here people buy jap cars, do you know what people in Japan buy?? For the most part, their cars, but the wealthier ones buy American cars. Go figure. It's funny seeing a full size car on some of those really narrow streets..... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> They can't void the warranty on the rest of the truck just because you lift it, and I beleive that there is a law that states that. Basically it's the dealers responsibility to prove that a modification caused a failure, it is not your responsibility to prove that it didn't. What you are complaining about is just that two dealers told you two different things. Read the warranty for yourself and find the clauses that say what the salespeople told you. Or did you actually read it for yourself? Don't beleive ANYTHING a salesperson tells you unless you see it in writing. </font>

10. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

exactly what Shaggy said .. check out SEMA, I can't remember the name or number of the warranty bill, but there is one out there that says, if you lift your truck and then blow up your radio, they have to cover it.

11. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Ok, let me clear some things up. I work at a pretty large GM Dealer in Southern California. Yes, we do see nose bleed IFS trucks come in that are broken. No we do not fix most of the breakage on trucks with 35" + tires. While on the other hand we have fixed a few lifted trucks that have broken TRE's and stuff like that.

What matters most is that if you are a good customer to the dealer, like you bought your vehicle from them, take it to them for regular service they will most likely fix it for you. BUT if you bought your truck from another dealer and never take your truck to them for regular maintence and such you can forget about having them fix your truck if its modified.

Also most of the new HD's that come in have had larger than factory tires installed and we work on those things all of the time. To me it sounds like the dealer was jackin ya.

12. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

GM came in 3rd in the quality rating based on problems per vehicle sold. That is the highest any domestic manufacturer has ever finished! I think they are headed in the right direction!

By the way......that was behind toyota and honda......ahead of Nissan!

Mike

13. indiana88

indiana88 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    you guys are kinda missing a big point of this little rant of mine. Things realy arent made like thier used to and Perterson 4x4 off road even proves that the new American trucks are lacking becouse they rated a Toyta as the highest over all. Just kinda stuff that happens /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you feel the same when I'm living off your tax dollars because they closed my plant. You can make the argument that most jap trucks are made in America, and that would be true but all the profits go straight across to them. They don't invest in the communities or the employees.

BTW, they are selling my plant but it looks like I might get lucky and get to transfer to another plant. Then I'll only have to uproot my family and forsake my friendships when I get to move. I do agree that the previous generation american products had unacceptable quality, but not anymore. I'm also still driving one of those trucks that were supposedly junk. It's a 15 year old K5 with 183,000 miles on it. I like to think I have a relationship with my truck. I have nothing against driving an older foreign truck, but I think the new domestic trucks are as good as anything the japs have to offer.

A lot of reason dealers around here won't cover modified trucks is because they are amateur hack jobs done by people that don't even own a torque wrench!

There's my rant.

14. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Just my .02 but I think its happening to all the big companys. They listen to there number crunchers and analysts and not to the people who by the product or work on the product. And big companys don't trust there employee's or respect them. Most of them refer to there workers as a number or as a production goal. What ever happened to names. Oh well I'm done. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

15. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

the competition keeps quality in check. Whether or not we accept it, there is a man/woman in a suit somewhere making decisions based on cost and profit, not always quality. My blazer is parked next to a honda civic. For a daily driver, i need something that will always start(it does). Of course I would sell it before I ever sold my k5. Lack of quality opens doors for competitors...always has, always will.

16. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

ill have to read the warenties myself to see what you guys say is true (they may have just been trying to keep me from lifting a new truck). All things considered the desicion is up in the air. The biggest reason im going to the Jap trucks is that i have freinds whith Nissans and i drive an isuzu, there is no doubt in my mind that they are worth thier weight in gold. I have plowed through places jeeps cant go in my guttless little 1.8L powered LUV.
    But ill defenitly look at that warenty it didnt occour to me they couldnt do that. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    Oh and by the way dont knock the Jap trucks too much, 1500 GM IFS is made by Isuzu and the new Diesles are Isuzus too. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah but the dealership can(and do in my experience) state that sure the lift doesn't affect anything(maybe u joints) but the tires cause tranny wear, and rear wear, and brake wear, and wear on everything else.

18. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

You realize that Nissan started in Japan, and is now owned by a FRENCH company? I dont care how good the damn thing is... IT'S FRENCH /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

19. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

i have been doing comp[arison stuff online and im probly sticking whith GM. Just the Japanies part of GM good old isuzu. They have a better warenty than Chevy and Nissan combined (they even warenty the body and frame from rust for 10years and 100,000 miles) thier standard drivetrain warenty is 7years and 75,000 miles. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    And realy dont you think that whole anti French thing is childish( ill admit it was funny though /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif), its over they were standing up for what they believed, just as we were /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

20. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I hope you feel the same when I'm living off your tax dollars because they closed my plant.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I'm sorry you lost your job, as I lost mine too, and it's now in India.

But it really gets to me any more when people start talking about "buying american" when it comes to vehicles (for instance) when every other damn thing they buy is Japanese, Chinese, Taiwanese, Indian, whatever. People whine and cry that they lost their job, while just the week prior they were out shopping and gleefully purchased products not made in this country, which hurt some other American worker/company that USED to make t-shirts, pants, shoes, tv's, whatever. You reap what you sow, and many of us are doing just that.

BTW, doesn't GM make huge amounts of stuff in Mexico, and haven't they had plants in Canada for something like 30+ years?

Keeping this somewhat related to the site, how many of us have purchased cheap tools that are obviously not made in this country, because you needed them ASAP, or they were cheap, and you only needed them one time? Of course, most of them break quite readily. To be honest, I don't think foreign companies can compete with the US in a couple of things: Steel products, and powerful engines. Of course, I believe it was Bethlehem Steel(?) that just went out of business. I don't think there is a Foreign V8 engine out there that can top the best American V8's, at least for most criteria.

The "problem" is that we are in a global economy whether anyone likes it or not, and our success or failure as a country is determined by our ability to adapt to change.

We aren't good at low cost (cheap) manufacturing, because most of us won't/can't work for $200/month. We also won't pay $15 for an American t-shirt when a Chinese one is $7 and does the same job, nor are many of us willing to take huge pay cuts to keep our job.

Think about what this country is good at (innovation and technology for instance) and the things that we CAN do, and be competitive globally as America. Those are the kinds of jobs we will need to seek out if we expect to have any.

[ QUOTE ]
    You can make the argument that most jap trucks are made in America, and that would be true but all the profits go straight across to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that similar to American companies like Enron that avoid(ed) paying taxes because they were "based" outside of this country? How exactly are they bettering the country (any more than a foreign company) by avoiding Federal taxes, screwing employees, and just taking the money for upper management?

As to quality, I went car shopping not long ago with some friends. Looked at Chev Cavalier, Ford Focus, VW Jetta, and the Toyota Corolla. Did not look at the Neons nor Honda's, as the design wasn't appealing to them. Didn't have to test drive the Cavalier, it was so poorly designed interior-wise that it was painful, also, mileage not impressive. The Ford Focus had some cool features, but was noisy on the freeway and didn't have really great power, nor was the mileage impressive. The Jetta was simply astounding, $20,000+ at 28MPG freeway, unless you got a diesel. I have to say the Jetta isn't really in the same class, but it's VW's only offering short of the beetle. (Yuck) The Toyota Corolla had the best warranty, best sound deadening, best handling, best power, and best economy (38MPG freeway with an auto.) out of all of them.

If the American automakers don't pull their heads out of their rears, they are doomed to fail. If you don't think so, you better read some of the recent financial comments about Ford Motor Company, or just look at market share for the past few decades. When you can't compete when it comes to quality ratings, warranty, features, and appeal, you will have problems. And American automakers are not consistent in any of the previously mentioned categories. I'm not saying all American vehicles suck at everything compared to foreign, just that they aren't consistent.

[ QUOTE ]
    They don't invest in the communities or the employees.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what would you say to other people in the world that are looking at Jaguars, Opels, Isuzu and Daewoo's? (to name a few) That they should not buy these vehicles because the parent companies are not in their country? (Ford, GM, GM, GM, IIRC)

To be blunt, you are a hypocrite to say buy American and own anything made outside of this country. Don't be angry, so was I at one point, except I realized this. You (plural, this isn't a personal attack) and I both know there is no way that we can justify, nor likely afford to, purchase ONLY products that are made solely in this country. Hell, even if you try, you'll likely be surprised like me, to find your AC Delco box states the item was made in Taiwan.