Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's in your console?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by czd3my, Oct 20, 2006.

1. czd3my

czd3my Registered Member

No I don't really want to know everything in your console! My Jimmy came with the stock console and inside it was half-a** lined with outdoor carpet held up (sorta...well not really) with double sided tape and it looked and smelled like someone spilled a gallon or so of coffee and soda in it. What I want to know is what came inside from the factory? Was it just bare or was there some sort of tray? A pic would be nice, if ya got one. I've looked in salvage yards and yet to find one different than mine. I think I could make some sort of tray but a photo or description to get a better idea what I'm up against would be great!

Thanks!

2. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

are you lookin for an ashtray?i think my old body had an area to put stuff????? it was a 79.i have a 86 pick up cab now.

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

What year? The 70's consoles are a very different beast from the newfangled ones.

-- A

4. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Bah, I thought this was goin to be "show and tell" lol. I carry alot of stuff in mine actually. :D Otherwise Mine was jus bare plastic in the bottom.

5. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

Mine is an '87, in the front part under the cup holder I installed an electric compressor I got out of a Lincoln Limo at the junk yard. Takes about 7 minutes to air up a 35" tire. Not the best option but sure beats no air at all. Also have 20 foot coiled airhose with gauge and clip on chuck, tire plug kit, gloves, knit cap... thats it I guess.

6. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

.45 Ruger haha

7. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It comes with a black liner that is cardboard and has the carpet stuff GM used to use on spare tire covers. These usually got ruined when drinks were spilled in to the console. IMHO all they were for was to deaden the sound of things rattling around inside it. If you want to keep some things in their just buy some small tupper ware type containers for pens, fuses and change.

I have the liner in storage if you want a picture of one.

8. czd3my

czd3my Registered Member

Sorry...thought the year was there. It's an 88.

Metro answered my question, though. It must have been that same self-destructive cardboard that was put in most of the older vehicles gloveboxes. That stuff just seems melt away with age! I'm going to see about forming one up out of some sheet metal then. If it was something I might have been able to buy then great but even if I could find one it wouldn't last. I have a 4x8 sheet of ABS that might work better. If I come up with something I'll post a pic. Thanks for all the reponses!

Show and tell, although interesting, might lead to things I didn't want to know.:doah::rolleyes: I do like the compressor idea!

9. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

My transfer case!

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I see your limit strap is broken too. My '91 has that console, in that color even. Carboard-carpet thingy is in pretty good shape.
    Is mine the only one that rattles if you put anything remotely hard in the cup holders or that little tray across the front? Even paper drink cups rattle there.

As to what's in it, I have it stuffed full of emergency rations, i.e. granola bars. :)

11. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Take some roll roofing (plain rubber) and cut it in a cross pattern like the cardboard thingy (this will be a rattle stopper).
    [​IMG]
    Place some thin foam padding on the bottom area (for inside to cushion the bottom).
    Fold the rubber to form a bucket. The yellow areas would be over lap on end pieces. I would use tire patch cement.
    You will need to get some vinyl and cut it to fit the inner flaps.
    Next spray some adhesive on to both parts and allow to tack.
    Insert the vinyl into the rubber bucket

Hope this helps anyone who wants it.

12. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

The limiting strap makes the cup holders, under the cover, seem useless, Because its so hard to remove.

13. OVK5

OVK5 Registered Member

Yeah my son loves that cupholder (he thinks he invented it,he's young) and besides the front and rear/underneath cupholders are the only thing I can use it for cause it's a cover now for my dual optima batteries. I just cut out the bottom and built a battery rack across my seat bars from my cage and added a few brackets...presto....battery box with the weight in the center of the rig and thats good cause I don't run inner wheel wells so the stock location is gone!...LOL:D

14. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

What's in MY consol??

everything:doah:

15. RockinChevy

RockinChevy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Whats in my console? BEER & ICE!!!!!!! not kidding!:pimp1: That's big pimpin' right there!
    I got 1" thick foam (used for signs in those stores with aisle markers) and cut it up to make it fit all around the inside walls. Then I cut up 2 pieces (that gave me 2") to fit on the bottom to keep engine heat out then cut out another piece for the door. I used lots and lots of Gorilla Glue and clear silicone to seal up the corners so it won't leak. I didn't get it all perfectly flat and level but believe me, It wasn't easy!
    Eventually it started leaking later but there's a hole in the floorboard to drain out of, or I use a hose and siphon it out.
    I usually put in a 6 pack sometimes more, with a 7 lb bag of ice. The ice doesn't really last as long as it would in a real cooler but it's enough for a day trip!:haha:
    I knew I can just easily rip out that console and put in a cooler for less effort. I only did this for my personal entertainment since I was so BORED to death that day.
    Yeah, everybody close to me says i'm friggin' nuts :screwy:

16. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

coffee stains, I don't drink coffee.

A flashlight that probably doesn't work.

Flares, probably no good either.

can of fix-a-flat, even if it was good I wouldn't use it.

I really need to clean this thing out, all that stuff is from the PO.