Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's in your diff?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cbbr, Jan 7, 2005.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Gonna change the diff lube. What are you guys using?? Stock diffs - 14 sf/10b. Going on a trip and I doubt that it has ever been done.

Any suggestions??

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

uhmm 90w gear oil?

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

80W90 gear lube...and air, and gears, some bearings, axle shafts, Detroit, and some bolts and stuff. :D

Rene

4. cbbr

Alright, I know that it sounds like (is) a stupid question, but the guy at the local AutoZone swears (regardless of what the factory says) that I need 75w150 or something. It just didn't sound right. He also seems to think that synthetic is the end all be all answer to everything. I, of course, don't have a clue (only the factory manual).

5. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

...just plain ol' gear oil. You can get synthetic if you are feeling REALLY giddy you can throw some synthetic in there...

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

We're just messin with ya a little. Parts guy is trying his best to upsell you something you don't need.

Rene

7. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

80 90 and a little slag! :D

8. cbbr

Yeah, I know and I appreciate the humor. Fact is that I have learned more from this site than anywhere else. Its nice to know that you can ask stupid questions. Thanks.:D

9. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Trust me, i feel the SAME way... I have ask alot of questions on here that alot of people probably think are pretty dumb...:grin:

10. Quaddawg

Quaddawg 1/2 ton status

You know, there is something about "AutoZone" that just sucks intelligence out of people... I swear I have NEVER met an AutoZone employee with even a remote clue... When I have to shop there, I make sure I look up part #'s on the net, before I go and just hand them the part number when I go in..

It seems like that is everywhere anymore, I guess the folks that know what they are doing are working somewhere else, cause they sure as hell at at the "Zone.. lol...

RANT OVER...

Use just about any good gear oil... 90w or so.......

11. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

yup I hear that, I went to the autozone the other day looking for some center pins and the guy told me to go to the junk yard :doah:

12. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

parts guys

if we all trusted the parts guys we would all be walking probaly. most of them learn the info from the computer the stand behind. but there is those few that ROCK with there knowledge. 80-90 is a good oil for a decent rig with no big loads :grin:

13. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

went to the autozone for a universal elec.fuel pump. Man wanted to know what it is going on. What for it is universal right. just 12 volts and enough gallons per minute.:confused:

14. Quaddawg

Quaddawg 1/2 ton status

LOL, been there.... if they can't type in a year and model, they are COMPLETLY lost...

Jeez, I would just about pay 15% EXTRA if I could find a parts store with folks like us working there...

I went in for belt tensioner pulleys, and idler pulleys for a couple of fords I have, same part number for all four parts. He looked the first one up, and I told him to just give me 4 of them, as they were the same part #..... he wouldn't do it, he insisted on looking all four parts up..... they were of course, the same part #.... He looked bewildered that a 1992 Crown Vic, and a 1997 Lincoln Townie would use the same part numbers.... That is when I stopped having them look the numbers up. The good thing about the zone, is that the online part number lookup really works well... and if the stores don't carry the part numbers, the online order system usually does....

Oh well, goes to show you, if you want something done right, do it yourself...

15. cbbr

If Autozone was not five blocks away, I would never go in. Fact is that they are close and no more expensive than anyone. I just get the feeling that they don't know what they are selling as often as not. Guys with real world experiance are always better to deal with, just hard to find.

16. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I run Redline Heavy Blend Shockproof Gear oil. It is a 75W-250 synthetic gear lube that won't press out from between the gear teeth. $10 a quart though.

Harley

17. CARL

CARL Registered Member

Mobile 1

Cheap grear grease or Synthetic....I run Mobil 1 due to cold weather & better mileage. The others Redline,....I can't always get when needed.

18. BSav

BSav Registered Member

gear oil

I run a half mix or what ever ratio it says on the bottle of Lucas gear oil and Valvoline 90 weight. It semes to work, I have had no problems.

88 GMC Jimmy, 2in tuff country, 350, chrome wheels for speed.:grin:

19. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I can't wait until a certain former Autozone employee chimes in after he reads that. :laugh:

For the oil.....
    In a rear end that will get worked hard and see a lot of miles I am a fan of synthetic when it will only cost an extra couple of dollars. I see no reason not to run a good synthetic when the fluid will be neglected for 50-100,000 miles like most people do and synthetic will supposedly keep the gears cooler under a heavy load. I have been meaning to change the gear oil in my D70HD that is in my '01 dodge cummins with 100,000 miles that I'm sure still has the factory oil in it.....I've got a 5 gallon bucket of mobile 1 synthetic 75-90w waiting, I wouldn't use anything but synthetic in my rearend especially since my dodge will be pulling some heavy loads at high speeds for long distances, which is where the oil gets put to the test.

In my K5 I will just run regular gear oil in the 14B/10B because it doesn't see much high speed hard use. Even though I work it hard offroad I don't think the oil gets very hot since I can't go much faster than 30mph in low range anyway.

20. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Thats pretty bad when you have people like that working at a parts store. I work at AutoZone part time when I go to school and I can honestly say that most of our people are just good old boys with LOTS of experience. I dont trust the computer, most of the time I use the paper catalogue to get stuff right. If the listing is wrong then we'll look through all the parts to find one that will work . Why cant all parts places be like that?