Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats involved in a Caddy 472 swap?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Lotsa_Faith, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

I have heard that the caddy 472 is a good truck motor, and to my fortune, a guy at my dad's work has one with 105k miles on it, and wants it gone from his garage for CHEAP. Whats involved in making this work with my current 350/th400/np208 setup?

2. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    This has been covered before. Search the word caddy, and then look for a thread containing somthing about choosing betwwen a 350 and 500cid.

The 472 is indeed a good motor. You will need to find a BOPC transmission and swap tailshafts to get the cadillac to bolt up. You will need to relocate the engine forward a few inches, and make new mounts. They can be purchased.

read up @ www.500cid.com

edit. Oh, i see your a bluebie, and cannot use the search function. Inb that case, I would Strongly consider a membership to this websaite to be able to access the annals of posts and information that has been covered...on EVERYTHING. Consider it a small cost of the swap.

another site. www.alaskaoffroad.com

Enjoy.

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

As far as the tranny goes, you don't necessarily have to have a BOPC style tranny. My neighbor built a 1979 GMC Scottsdale on a 1 ton IH chassis and put a Caddy 500 in it. He sold it a couple years ago, but we were talking about it the other day. He said the tranny was called a Clark and that it was a semi transmission. The t-case he used was called an FWD. I'd never heard of either of these names before, but he said that he was able to get the Caddy to bolt up to the trans after "8 hours of sweating blood" as he said. Anyway, just letting you know that you may have a few other options on trannies if you're willing to research. He's happy to answer questions if you have any.

4. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

contact JDBlazer454... They are running a 472 Used to have a 454 but not anymore) in thier mid-80s K5 and will have the answers your looking for.

-Ryan

5. Lotsa_Faith

Actually, "blubies" can do searches, and I did. I looked at every post on it, yet I was still a little confused on how to go about moving the driveline and if I needed a new driveline, so I decided to post a new topic instead of bringing the old one back from the dead, which usually gets comments kind of like the "use the search" comment. Plus, if everyone just searched for what they needed, since ck5 has been around for about 3 years now, they would probably find what they needed. Then we wouldn't have anything to talk about now would we? I'll check out the links, and I have already pm'ed JDBlazer454. Just tryin to see who else has done it.

6. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

I just replied to your Pm /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Sorry it took us so long to get back to you was a rough night of cruisin our camaro and drinking beer /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I have never heard of a Clark tranny but I do know that with the BPO case it was in and running in only 1.5 hours. Just as simple as a chevy motor into it. Just gotta pry the frame rails out a little to get the exhaust manifolds by then it squeezes right down in there. Honestly if your thinking about it buy Cad Company's catalog and read up. It has casting #'s, torque & hp ratings, interchangable part info, and all the cool conversion info you would need.

Honestly its not a hard swap just be prepared for all the comments later on, I get every comment from why to how cool to you can't do that. Its a very reliable motor with good mpg to power. It moves my 6500 lb blazer on 38's around with no problems (even got power left over to mess with the ricers /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif ). I am going to regear before too long as my 4.10's aren't enough and am going to 4.56's or 4.88's and a detroit locker.

7. Lotsa_Faith

So there's NO WAY I could make my TH400/NP208 work? What would be a good BPO tranny to get? what about tcase?

8. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I am not sure if anyone makes them anymore, but you used to be able to get an adapter that would allow you to bolt BOPC motors to Chevy trannies. That would open up a whole slough of choices in the tranny dept.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

TCI still makes the tranny adapters,they have them listed in Jeg's and Summit Racing--about 60 bucks,and there are two versions,chevy motor to buick ,olds, pontiac, caddy tranny,and buick, olds ,caddy , pontiac motor to chevy tranny. They also had dual bolt pattern tranny case(th350) from 78-82 factory in many gm cars(I've seen several in monte carlos and buick regals in boneyards)but I'm not sure if you could swap the tailshaft from a th350 4x4 into one,but you probably can,I'm sure someone on here would know for sure!~.I am following any caddy related info closely, /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gifas I have a 500 caddy motor out in the shed,looking for a new vehicle to terrorize! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

That is exactly what I have in my blazer for a tranny is the BPO case with my T350 4x short shaft guts into it. I am not sure if T400 guts would work into one but the Cad company makes an adapter for $119 to go between a T400 and a caddy block. For a T350 they suggest going with the BPO case or a T400 as the T400 will be able to handle the torque better ( I have no problems with my T350 but it was very well built and has neck snapping shifts). If you use a T350 you will have to either drill the flexplate for a multi pattern orrrrr buy the multi pattern flexplate.

I never realized how popular this swap was until recently. I get 3 to 4 pm's and emails a week about this swap and alot of questions. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif