Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats involved in changing gears?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JunkYardCrawler, Sep 16, 2000.

1. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

I have 3.07:1 gears in my K-5 and i want to change them to 4.56's what all is involved in that? i have installed an ez-locker in the rear already and i'm am mechanicaly inclined. I was just woundering if it was something that i have to bring to a diff. shop or what. and wheni do it is that the best time to get a full floater kit for my 12 bolt?

The best damn junk yard truck i have ever seen

2. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

you have to be careful when you set up gears. You can't just throw them in. A pinion depth gauge and dial indicator are needed to set up backlash. Check Jegs and Summit I know they sell the proper tool for the job. You may also need a bigger carrier a 4 series as oppossed to the 3 series that you have now with your 307 gears (308 gears?). Or A thicker ring gear might be made to be used with the 3 series carrier. again check Jegs and Summit.