Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whats involved in this swap?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vw62rag, Jan 22, 2005.

1. vw62rag

vw62rag Registered Member

hello, i have a full size jimmy with a 350, 700r4 and a 208tc, id like to ditch the 700r4 before it gernades. i have a good th400 out of my old 3/4ton 2wd suburban jus sitting here and id like to put that in insted. what all is invovled? what other parts will i need?
    thanks in advance for help!!

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you need an adapter for the TH400, new output shaft, and all the work to put the two on.

3. vw62rag

so jus 2 parts? were can i find these parts? i dont mind the work. i jus really want the 700r4 out

4. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sorry I wasn't clearer, yes 2 parts but they happen to be 2 expensive parts. Not to mention that installing the output shaft requires complete disassembly of the transmission. It is a good deal of work.

6. vw62rag

wow! compete dissasembly of the trans? i dont think im gona be able to do that. what do you all recamend doing? having a shop do it?

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

that or if you can locate a 4x4 trans just get that.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

or get a divorce

You could install a divorced transfer case and use the 2wd tranny,but thats as much or more work than gutting the TH400 to put the 4x4 output shaft in the 2wd tranny....you'd need a divorced T case,lenthen/shorten the driveshafts,shifter linkage,etc--probably easier to just but a TH400 4x4 tranny,with a NP208 that mates to it(A TH350 or 700R4 case has different input spline sizes--wont bolt up,but you could make it work,you still need a TH400 style case for the parts to make it work,might as well put the whole case in)..

The beauty of a divorced transfer case is you can use ANY tranny in front of it,manual or automatic,2wd style,simply by using the appropriate short driveshaft between the tranny and transfer case--but its kinda involved getting such a t-case installed,mounted,and hooked up to a shifter...This is why I liked the old GM trucks with the rockwell case,it allowed a lot of tranny conversion options,and 2wd or car trannys are cheaper and more plentiful...:crazy:

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

you would be best off finding a th350 4x4 trans, they are dime a dozen, and pretty much bolt right in palce if you show it where ot go