Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats involved? SFA swap on 2wd 1/2 ton 89 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, May 30, 2006.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys!

The farm is in dire need of a new truck for beating around in the fields. They are using a gorgeous, low mileage 2000 Special Edition GMC Sierra at the moment, which is just wrong!

So, I've got an 89 Chevy half ton with literally half a million kilometers on the clock. It is in dire need of a front suspension job, and is pretty loose on the road. The rest of the truck is in relatively excellent shape though, and being an extended cab longbox, it is perfectly suited for the farm.

I'm tempted to buy a 1/2 ton 10 bolt front diff + all the brackets for the front and rear of the truck, and convert it to 4x4. I'd change the front diff to 8 lug outers, put a 14 bolt out back, and put some 3/4 ton, or if I can find a set, 1 ton springs on it front and rear, and convert it over. In it's half ton 2wd form, it'd be totally useless out there.

I wouldn't want more than a 4" lift or so, just enough to pack some 32 - 33" mud terrain tires onto it and not get a bunch of rubbing while it is flexed out on some of the hills out there.

I'd then use the divorced 205 transfercase I have to get the front and rear shafts the same length, and either stick with the TH350, or possibly convert to an SM465 for the transmission.

Now, while I would have no problems doing the SM465 swap, installing the 205, or getting driveshafts made, I'd need to know what all a guy has to do to get that front diff installed. I assume I'd need cross over steering for it, and of course I'd have to bolt the spring stuff on, and possibly move the spring perches, but what else would I need to be concerned with?

I'm hoping to spend relatively little on this truck, and if it will cost more than 1500 to build, I'd rather just try and sell it as is for that price.

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  2. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Go to the IFS forum farther down the page, there is post on this verything.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

ya we got lots in there on this.

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Yup, follow the link im my sig...sweetk30 did one too and some one else did ..li just cant remember the username...

5. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well, I did a bunch of reading and I've come to the conclusion that the truck would simply sit up way too high to be useful... Good for running big mudders. If it wasn't for that crossmember hanging so low and causing clearance issues with the diff, I think I'd go for it, but yeah, an 8 foot truck isn't good for anything but wheeling, LOL

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

If the crossmember was cut and plated it would work fine... That and run a set of 2" front 73-87 springs. Would give ya 4" or less of lift. Youd have to modify the brackets like i did in my build up to get even a decent shackle anglebut its not to hard to do.

7. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Put a Snow plow on it that'll suck that frontend down!!!