Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whats involved to go from tbi to carb?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by therover87, Mar 15, 2002.

1. therover87

therover87 1/2 ton status

i have an 87 k5 350 tbi and i was looking to go with a carb instead and wanted to know what exactly is involved, and if anyone here has done it before, you guys are gonna say i shouldnt but i just cant seem to get the throttle body motor to run right.

2. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

I would also like to know! I am puling the engine and tbi out of a 91 chevy to put in my rig, and will be putting a carb. engine back into the 91 so that I can send it down the road.

3. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I did it and yes, everyone will say NO to it but so what.
    I should have documented all the steps, but I didn't/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
    The hardest thing is the wiring. You need to locate where every wire goes and mark them before you pull anything out.
    You will loose a lot of wires. Carbs are easy to work on and I haven't had any trouble with mine, even on steep hills.
    Please make your questions specific on what you want to know. Here is some of the parts I used
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/16887872TAzbZjYmWz>Building of Storm Trooper</a>
    Dave

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

This should be a pretty straight forward job. Just remove your TBI manifold and replace it with a 4BBL. manifold and carb and you must also replace the distributor with a standard HEI style that is not computer controlled. You will also need to run either a mechanical fuel pump or wire your existing one to work from the ignition and not through the computer and install a pressure regulator in the system somewhere.

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

This should be a pretty straight forward job. Just remove your TBI manifold and replace it with a 4BBL. manifold and carb and you must also replace the distributor with a standard HEI style that is not computer controlled. You will also need to run either a mechanical fuel pump or wire your existing one to work from the ignition and not through the computer and install a pressure regulator in the system somewhere. If anyone thinks i missed something then please add the info into the equation.

6. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Hey do you or anyone else want to sell the tbi stuff?Heads,intake and tbi?I am in need of this stuff and if you are gonna shitcan it you may as well make some money on it right?

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

A few additions... one if you have a 700r4 you are gonna have to wire the TCC cicuit to run off of engine vacuum. Second, some gm ecm act as the power distribution block and ground for the entire vehicle, so get some wiring diagrams and study them. Another item to consider is if you are going to use the stock fuel pump? If you use the tBI fuel pump it will need to be wired in and you will need tor run a fuel pressure regulator.

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Hey guys this is easy. Remove all your TBI stuff, and I mean ALL of it. Put it in a box. You'll need it later.

Then put on my intake and rebuilt quadrajet carb. No prob you can have it for free.

Now is when you'll need that box of TBI parts. Seal the box good with tape and make sure there's packing material inside. Send it directly to me.

No worries mate.