Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's involved with a tbi unit?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LKJR, Jan 27, 2005.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Ok guys here's the low down.
    I've got a boat with a 460 in it. being rebuilt.
    I"m doing a tpi swap on my blazer.

the boat came with a holley carb. but I've been doing all this FI research and got to thinking about swapping the boat over as well and be done with carbs.

Posted this on pirate in the ford section and a guy mentioned using a tbi unit off a 454 and just adapting it since these are fairly close in displacment.

So I"m asking everyone here for input on what I would need to do this.

2. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

My thought is an adaptor plate to make the tbi unit fit an edelbrock intake if needed.

a harness from afordable fuel injection (vendor on here)
    pending results of the swap on the blazer using there harness

tbi unit (throttle body ) off a 454
    I'm thinking the injectors are part of this but don't know

then a prominator or chip to make the computer work.

How does the tbi comptuers know how much to give? just throttle? or are there sensors like the TPI has? since it's a boat I don't know how I'd give it a speed reading. unless I could use some kind of mass air sensor, which I"d be leary of

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You could adapt it to the carb manifold already on the boat motor.

You would need to rework the fuel system to an electric pump like you are going to have to do on the TPI swap.

TBI is just a simpler form of TPI. The TBI has the injectors on the Throttle Body where the TPI has the indevidual injectors in the manifold.

TBI uses sensors like the TPI does. It uses a MAT, MAP, Knock, Water Temp, oil pressure, etc sensors. The only problem I might be worried about is the distributor. I don't know exactly how to get that to work, and mounting the sensors.

Turbo City adapts TBI onto lots of things. They would be a good place to look and read.

Harley

4. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

a pump you can get at a junkyard for around 20 bucks and same with the 454 tbi. If you want something clean and reconditioned ebay has the holley 670 cfm tbis for 150. they are 350 new. The 454 tbi would work but you will need to get it bored if you have too much more power than stock.

5. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

well I was looking at the projection setups as well but they are only 670cfm on a 2 barrell setup. Don't know how they perform but I'd think that a larger engine like this would need more than that. I think!! the carb is a 700 but I could be wrong.

6. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

lmfao nice sig....

Yeah it would be close. they can support alot more than they are rated at when you stuff a custom chip and a better fuel pump in there. Are the 454 tbis 2 or 4 bbl. In cali i think they're 2.