Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what's involved?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by walrus101, May 14, 2000.

1. walrus101

walrus101 Registered Member

what\'s involved?

i have an 88 k5. i am looking at an late 70's 3/4 ton p/u with a dana 60 front and a 14 bolt ff rear. it has a 5in sus. lift. i am curious how easy it is to use the axles and the lift on my blazer. i can probably get the p/u for bout 200.00. which i know the axles are worth that, but i just want to know what would be involved with the sus.?

walrus101

goo goo gaju

2. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

Re: how easy is it?

I'll be watching this one too, walrus. I'm wanting to do the same thing to mine and am wondering about the work involved...

Blazin' in Flagstaff

3. walrus101

Re: what\'s involved?

any information at all would help!!

walrus101

goo goo gaju

4. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

Well first off, the Dana 60 never came in the 3/4 ton (that I am aware of). I'm going to swap 3/4 ton gear into my '89 that's on the '77 now. The guy that had it said that it needs a u-joint conversion (two diff. cup sizes on the same joint) and possibly drive shaft mods depending on what trans and t-case the other truck has compared to the other. The e-brake cables will need to be set up right and new u-bolts put into place. The spring perches are the same width apart so thats done with, no custom stuff... the guy said it was easy because all that really has to be delt with on it is getting the right driveshafts and u-joints. Just call a driveshaft shop and have customs made up... they may not be cheap but the job will be done right the first time; you may not even have to if you're lucky!

NEVER been stuck... *yet*

5. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Just completed mine last week.I also think the dana 60 didn't come in the 3/4 ton.But you never know.I put in a HD dana 44 in front completely bolt in u-joint and every thing.But i did have the dana 44 6-lug too start with.The rear as long as it's from a 3/4 ton the perches line up perfect.My brake and parking brake lines where the same.Only problem i had where that the shock mounts on mine where about 1 1/2 lower then before.Check out the article on the main page too.

6. Tommy

Tommy 1/2 ton status

The front springs on the 70 will be shorter than your 88 springs, so be sure to measure before you tear down to swap.

7. walrus101

thanks guys; yall are always there with good info.

walrus101

goo goo gaju

8. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

If it is a dana 60 front it is probally a 1ton truck or somebody did a swap.I think the 1ton spring perches are located differently and would need to be moved.never heard of a 60 in a 3/4 ton.Brady

9. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

Should be straight bolt up. K20=3/4 ton, K30=1 ton If the front is a Dana 60 the passenger side leaf spring will have only 1 u-bolt. The sway bar is bigger on a D60 so swap all parts. One more thing, Dana 60's sit up higher than 1/2 ton axles so your 1/2 springs bolted to the swapped D60 will usually give you a small lift.

10. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I thought some brake work had to be done for this swap, ie: new master cylinder and possibly proportioning valve. Any thoughts everybody?

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

11. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Didn't have to do any brake modifications too mine.It brakes fine and isn't biased too the front or the back.It locks all four at the same time.And acually the calipers off my 6-lug bolted on too my 8-lug after i broke a bleeder they are the same part number.The rear wheel cylinders on my 12-bolt where the same size as the ones on my 14 bolt.The only thing that changed was rotor diamter in front and drum shoe size in rear.Chevy wasn't into making too many different parts.But maybe it is different for 10 bolts.