Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whats invovled in a 89-91 k5 grill swap?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bryguy00b, Apr 12, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i want to put the 89-91 style front grill/lights in my 86 pickup. what is ivolved in it? i know a lot of it would be bolt in..but what about the lights and all that? is there any speacial wiring that needs to be done? thanx!

2. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

would that be different from putting it on a 78 ro a 86?

4. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

On an 86 you just need to change the core support and grill.

If you allready have Dual Headlights you won't have to change any wiring except maybe changing the plugs for the headlights. Also the parking lights have 2 bulbs, but only one of the flashes. The other is just like a light you have in the dash. More than likely your existing wiring only has one parking light so you would need to wire in a jumper for the other bulb.

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

cool...well ill keep my eyes peeled for a grill...and see what i come up with...

6. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

The article linked is excellent! I downloaded that monthes before I ever started looking at CK5. I am going to do that convertion to my 80. Of course I am going to cut the top off and weld in a 73 windsheild surround first. I saw a finished rig not too long ago with 89-91 grill on a 73-75. It looked sooooooo kool.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

if you feel like being a tad bit lazier, you can find the complete grill swap kit in the truck magazines (the street style ones,). Its listed next to those "Escalade" conversions usually. Of course, lazy=moola, and I dont think the fit/finish is as good as OEM.

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

nah i just wanna find one form liek a swap sheet...or the front end or something..right now im putting in inner fender weels..andi gatta get a driver fender for it cuase its got a big ol dent in the front..this would be the perfect time to do it...but i wont find one that quick.

9. cryptobiotic

cryptobiotic Registered Member

I actually did this to my 83 a couple months ago, it was a pain in the ass royaly!! but we got it to work, for wiring your best bet would be to keep the harness you have, and call some junk yards looking for a pickup with dual headlights suburban, van, pickup it don't matter because they all use the same headlights, all you need are the "pigtails" for the headlights and sidemarkers, it may take a little troubleshooting to splice them in I have alot of problems with my brights because of grounding, a good idea is to take the the light housings in to match-up the pigtails...the besthing you can do though as far as putting it together is getting a LMC truck catalog because it has all the GM part numbers and all the AM parts you would need for cheap plus diagrams to do it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Pretty easy to do if you had the "deluxe" front end, aka quad headlights. The only thing you'll have to change is two of the front marker lights needs a new socket 194 socket and source.

I recommend using a relay to turn all four headlights on when using highbeams or else they dim a little.

You may have snorkle problems. The quad headlight setup stole the air from behind the headlights whereas the 89-91 ones had a long plastic thing that went into the side of the core support. The front clip I bought didn't have this piece of plastic in it. I decided to suck the air from the passenger fender instead.

It took me 6-8 hours to swap everything except the hood. Inner wheelwells, front fenders, core support, grille, and about an hour trying to get the damn bent bumper back on. At the same time I modified a passenger side battery tray to use on the driver's side. If you didn't do any of the other junk I did you could do it in 4 hours.

EDIT:
    front clip:
    http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicles/images/84k10/frontclipoff89Jimmy/
    my toilet-flange cold air solution:
    http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicles/images/84k10/coldairintake/

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

wow that came out nice!! i also need inner and outer fenders to..so i should probobly find a whole fornt clip somewere..

12. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Yeah. I was looking for front fenders because mine were tired and my Dad spotted the whole front clip off a Jimmy still put together (including hood latched down--that was fun). It had a smashed left front fender. I live 500 miles away and I thought it was the ugly front clips (single headlight ones you find on 87s) so I wasn't too enthused about it for $200. When I found out it was the new style I was all over it like flies on [censored]. This was back when I was still pretty new to the 73-87 thing...

If you can, I suggest you find a whole front clip. It won't be easy but it makes things much nicer and a lot cheaper. I know you can buy the inner wheelwells for cheap (~$30) and places sell the core support/grille stuff. Fenders are ~$108.

13. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Anyone know the part number for the bowtie emblem that goes on the 89-91 grilles!?

That was a great tech article... but the only thing its missing is the bowtie emblem! No part # either.

See in this pic:
    http://coloradok5.com/techpics/after.jpg

The holes for the back of the bowtie emblem are about 1 1/2" apart instead of like 3" apart. My friend and I are trying to track down that emblem with no luck!!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

14. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

I think www.chevyduty.com has them. The dealer may still be able to get them too.

15. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thanks man. We were at the dealer. We ordered the emblem for the 89-91 sealed headbeams grille with the four rectangular lights like in that pic.
    We go to pick up the emblem and it isn't the right one.
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    We spent half an hour at the dealership getting him to look at the diagram of the grill and emblem pictures for all the years, still no luck.

16. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

17. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hey thanx man! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif