Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whats it take to water proof a diesel?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by ducttape114, Jun 10, 2003.

1. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

those pics of toby rig got me inspired!!! what does it take to take a diesel under water. for the gas motor it was snorkle and seal the distributer. so for us it would be snorkle and what?

2. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

Make sure all your other fluid orifices have a good seal and likely switch to an electric fan you can turn off when you hit the drink (ya wouldn't want your fan chewing into your radiator). For the most part, diesels are ready for water... Of course dont forget to reroute your axle and tranny (if auto) breathers up out of the water and if you can, route your exhaust out of the water line as well...

Jon /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Now don't forget about needing some air for yourself!!

4. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Now don't forget about needing some air for yourself!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, extend a standard diving snorkel through the roof with the mouthpiece hanging just in fron of your face for that extra *deep* water /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Probably should do something about the alternator too. Like drill some drain holes in it or pack it with some di-electric grease or something /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif...other than that the rest is the same for a diesel as it is for gas(ie door seals, headlights, drain plugs, marine grease for the wheel bearings etc etc)

6. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

door seals???? wow, doors must be nice. mine are usually off when i wheel. i am also worryed about stuff like the stereo and CB. the wireing should be ok as long as they are off and the deck its self stays above water right???? i can do the marine grease. but what about the fuel injection stuff? thats partialy electric isnt it? thanks guys.

7. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

You could mount your stereo and CB to a ceiling mount console to keep them up out of the way. The othe engine stuff (injection pump, etc.) should be fine with healthy quantities if dielectric grease at the connectors. It probably wouldn't hurt to prep the glow system as well even though it's not in use while you're running.

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

You could get a water-resistant stereo from a boat /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I would also make sure all the electrical connections are watertight(ie using liquid electrical tape in conjunction with heat shrink stuff) You might look into getting sealed gauges and LED lights as well...

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    those pics of toby rig got me inspired!!! what does it take to take a diesel under water. for the gas motor it was snorkle and seal the distributer. so for us it would be snorkle and what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well luckily I have an old perkins so ALL I needed was a snorkel, no electric stuff on the engine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Oh and extend the exhaust up.

10. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Also check out the link in my sig and there are some pics of my snorkel system.

Also notice the "title" under my username on the left...wonder what that means? Also in the pics should be the "Midwest Spring K5 Thing". Note where there shouldn't be water.....

11. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

On the HMMWVs all hub reduction boxes, transmission, transfer are vented to the air filter. The "Fording Kit" (standard equipment for the Marines, optional add-on for the Army) I'm not as familar with. Beyond the obvious snorkel & exhaust stack,I know they run a selector valve which control venting to the bottom of the hyrdraboost, and fuel cap. I thought they also vented the fuel feed pump but I'm not sure on that one. I'll have to take a peak when the Jar-Heads down the street return from Legune. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif