Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whats latest year of wheels that will fit 8lug 4x4 87-older ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Nov 18, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

will any or all 88-up 8lug wheels fit 87-older 8lug ?

matter if 2wd or 4x4 ?

if not then why and what years still will interchange ?

i want to keep my eyes/ears out for some nice 16" wheels for the K20 to replace the stock painted 16" with , but got to know what years will fit and what wont

thanks

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

All chevy, dodge, and ford 8 luggers are the same except the new superduties as far as I know. It is 8x6.5

3. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Furd got cheap.. they (Superduty) only are 7 lug wheels.Glad the others didn't follow the "blue oval"!

4. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

The newer wheels are backspaced differently and will sit snug with your tie rod ends but should usually fit ok.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    All chevy, dodge, and ford 8 luggers are the same except the new superduties as far as I know. It is 8x6.5

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but some yearsof dodge or ford had differetn size bearing hole other than the 4.5" that was used 90%of the time

so ford went to 7 lug ?

odd...

thanks

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

No, the superduty's are still 8 lug...it's just they're on a 170mm bolt circle, not the common 6.5"

Bolt patterns will be the same on all 8 lug wheels excluding the '99-up superduty's. You have to watch out for backspacing though (the newer chevy's have a larger backspacing, I believe, so you might have clearance probs with the tie-rod ends). And, like you mentioned, some wheels have a different size center hole. I'll let someone else give you the facts on that because I'll probably turn 'em around. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

umm unless the superduty in my driveway had a lug added when I wasn't looking its 8 /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. 99+ super duties are 8 on 170mm as far as I remember. I know where this thought comes from and its really weird but common, in 96 or 97 Ford built the first F150s on the newere body style, then they brought the F250s to the same body style, and all the F250s produced on the IFS body like that have hub caps that only have 7 bumps that are suppossed to show the lugs underneath. If you pop the cap there are 8 lugs I guess they started making the caps and realized they made the bumps too big and just said go with it.

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Taken from a reply made by "mosesburb":

[ QUOTE ]
    GM uses the smallest center hole. GM trucks can use Ford and Dodge wheels, but Fords and Dodges typically can't use GM wheels. There are exceptions to all rules, but, for the most, part this is usually what you will find.

[/ QUOTE ]

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've got a set of 16-inch factory rally type wheels from a 1989 3/4-ton 4WD pickup. They have stainless trim rings and chrome center caps. $100 + shipping and they could be on your doorstep. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I can even bolt one up on the front of my '90 'burb for ya to make sure that they don't hit anything. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

ford uses 7 lugs on f150 HD (7700 series) and LD f250(non SD)...3/4t and 1t super duties are all 8 lug...

11. Scrubby

Scrubby 1/2 ton status

I put 2003 Silverado 2500 HD 4x4 wheels on my 2wd '71 burb. I had no problems with backspace, just needed some conversion lug nuts to run the center caps.

[​IMG]

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nice first gen! Thats a cruiser there! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Just put a set of 16" x 6" stock steel rims from an 89 3/4 to GM on my 87 GM. Fit fine. Hubcaps won't fit. The 89 use a ring and center piece. Or, just pick up a cheap 1 piece hubcap like I did and cover the whole thing.

Eric M.

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I put 2003 Silverado 2500 HD 4x4 wheels on my 2wd '71 burb. I had no problems with backspace, just needed some conversion lug nuts to run the center caps.

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

drool!
    i like very much, i miss my 68 panel delivery now, should have kept it, damn.
    i saw a 68 burb all restored and 100% perfect running around town last week passing out flyers using the truck, it was all nice and bright white and drooool.,,,,,,
    i dont know where it was from but has IL plates on it now, and must have been alot spent on restoration or it came from a better region

anyways it sounds like that wheels 8 lug will fit all way up to current ones, hmmm... cool /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

thanks

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I didn't think they sold LD F250s anymore and I'm pretty sure your wrong, I've never removed the hubcap myself but I know some people who have one on a farm and they say its just a 7 lug hub cap there are 8 lugs under there.

16. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm trying to find a set of those rims to put on my 88 Burb. Missed a set a few months back that were take off's with about 100 miles on them tops.

17. doc70sub

doc70sub 1/2 ton status

The F-250 LDs, or F150 7700 later on, did in fact have 7-lug wheels.....stupid move IMHO. Theses trucks look just like the '97-up F150s w/ the heavier suspension & 7-luggers.

The Super Duty's have all been 8-lug up to the larger 10-lug HEAVY trucks.

Doc

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hmm interesting, never bothered to pop the cap was just told by people with access to one it was 8 lug, though knowing those guys they saw some old like 77 ford with newer caps or something, or just made it up cause they had no real clue.

19. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Light duty F-250's (96 to present) have 7 lug wheels acording to my buddie that's into fords he said they can't find rims other than stock cuz they have the odd bolt pattern (kinda like the small 6 lug wheels on dakotas )

20. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Where did you get those lug nuts I have a set of those caps and I want to run them on my 88 burb /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif