Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's My 1986 GMC K20 4WD Worth?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dave1, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Dave1

Dave1 Registered Member

What is the value of a nice looking 1986 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD pick up with T400 auto, "M" series 350 engine, cold AC, power windows and door locks, sliding rear window, 2" lift kit, fairly new 33x12.50x16.5 BFGs on custom Turbo wheels, dual exhaust, Warn 8270 8000lb elect winch, good body, good paint, drives excellent, but has a blown head gasket and needs the engine repaired?

Debating whether to sell it as is and buy newer truck, or put some money into it and fix it up.

Thanks for any info.

Dave
    davisalf@aol.com

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

truck info

dude pick up a create motor or a reman longblock and fix that sucker . she will last much longer than the newer ones. if you want fix the top end and be done with it if you whant to do that. its much cheeper than a truck payment for the next 4 years. and she is bilt like a tank compared to the ifs frt trucks.:bow: :pimp:

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd fix the old truck....

I nearly bought an 89 K3500 GMC 4x4 with a plow,454,TH400,etc. recently..a real good price was offered to me,and sometimes I kick myself for not buying it,but when I asked the guys here about buying it,all of them said to pass on it,due to the independent front suspension,and other reasons--looking back,I'm glad I didnt get it--I've never owned a newer,EFI computerized truck yet,and know little about them,and since I dont have a job right now,I have little cash for sensors,diagnosis,etc,when my old trucks I know pretty much everything about them,and I prefer the classic style cab over the new ones anyway...

I'd fix your head gaskets,or get a replacement "Goodwrench" motor for 1200 bucks and keep the older truck if I were you--they dont make them like they used too applies here!--and even if you dont want to keep it for long after fixing it,you will get a lot more for it running and driveable than you would with a motor that was not---and if it has a nice rust free body,drive it to new england when you sell it--I bet you can get a thousand more up here for it,since rust free trucks hardly exist here,especially older ones...:crazy:

4. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i'd throw in a new long block as well. you wont get much for it if you sell it as is anyway. i'd guess 1500 as is.