Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whats needed to fit 38s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by warnoffroad, Mar 31, 2004.

1. warnoffroad

warnoffroad Registered Member

Howdy, I just got a 79 K5 with a 12 bolt rear 205 case 33x12 Bf ATs (no lift clears tires no rub but mild fender cutting) and warn m8274 winch. Im wanting to do a 8" superlift and 38x12.5 TSLs, will the tires fit with this lift? What does everyone do as far as drive shafts and angles? I will not do a body lift, and also have bushwacker fender cut-outs in mind

Also im looking for a light bar to mount on the roof, does anyone know of a company? All I can think of is a surco safari rack but would rather just have a light bar. Thanks!

heres the blazer [​IMG]
    and my DD [​IMG] 02 s-10, SFA d44 front d60 rear, 2 t-case (stock and np200 1.25 ton) on 40 Iroks with some extras

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

4-5 inch lift and some fender trimming...

or about 9 inch lift and no trimming... I used to rub 38"s with 8 inch lift and bushwacker cut outs... so maybe even 10 inch lift for no trimming and no rubbing.

but it also depends on your rims backspacing.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Yeah 8" would fit, I'd suggest you go with Tough Country ez rides, or BDS for springs, superlift is one of the stiffest. Just my 2.34 cents

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

By the way, nice DD /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. warnoffroad

[ QUOTE ]
    4-5 inch lift and some fender trimming...

or about 9 inch lift and no trimming... I used to rub 38"s with 8 inch lift and bushwacker cut outs... so maybe even 10 inch lift for no trimming and no rubbing.

but it also depends on your rims backspacing.

[/ QUOTE ]

they are 15x10, white spoke wagon wheels so i believe about 4.5 BS. Im more worried about flexing while going straight rubbing, no so much turning(haha dont ask). What did you do as far as drive shafts witht eh 8" kit?

6. Silver84k5

"driveshafts" go to a driveline shop and have them extend them...

7. warnoffroad

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah 8" would fit, I'd suggest you go with Tough Country ez rides, or BDS for springs, superlift is one of the stiffest. Just my 2.34 cents

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough country and BDS dont seem to make a 8" kit though. I know what your saying with super lift leafs, I got em on the yellow truck and they are stiff as hell. Im wanting to go skyjacker easyrides because i have heard good things about them. But the yellow truck is for sale if anyone wants it only 11k miles

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think TC makes an 8" spring.

BDS does.

Superlift and Skyjacker are the common 8"ers though.

9. warnoffroad

[ QUOTE ]
    "driveshafts" go to a driveline shop and have them extend them...

[/ QUOTE ]

I know ill need them to be extended, but i heard i need to "lower the tcase" and run CV joints. Im just wondering what everyone here does.

10. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

I run 6" lift on mine with 38's. I put a 2" body lift on to reroute the exhaust up out of the way of harm which I am about to remove soon. Fenders are trimmed out too.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Bill

11. warnoffroad

[ QUOTE ]
    I run 6" lift on mine with 38's. I put a 2" body lift on to reroute the exhaust up out of the way of harm which I am about to remove soon. Fenders are trimmed out too. See pics in Sig.
    Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

I would if I could but im not a full member YET. If you could post a few pics that would be great! Also what did you do as far as drive shafts? Any angle problems?

12. Silver84k5

you can lower the t-case. doesnt the front already have a CV on it?....

When i look at it, it seems like lowering the tcase helps the rear shaft but hurts the front, but none the less my tcase was lowered when i had the 8"s on my truck, and i alwasy seemed to spit out the cap on my front ujoint on the CV and if i do remember right, i had some small degree shims under there aswell. You might just want to go ahead and have some shafts made from high angle driveline i have nothing but good about jesse and his drivelines.

13. warnoffroad

[ QUOTE ]
    you can lower the t-case. doesnt the front already have a CV on it?....

When i look at it, it seems like lowering the tcase helps the rear shaft but hurts the front, but none the less my tcase was lowered when i had the 8"s on my truck, and i alwasy seemed to spit out the cap on my front ujoint on the CV and if i do remember right, i had some small degree shims under there aswell. You might just want to go ahead and have some shafts made from high angle driveline i have nothing but good about jesse and his drivelines.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAD has crossed my mind, but im only 18 and money has its limits. But do you know how much a set of shafts will be? THe front shaft is dual cardian not CV

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

They dont make a 8" (tough country) I know for sure BDS does because I was looking at them at there website.

15. warnoffroad

[ QUOTE ]
    I run 6" lift on mine with 38's. I put a 2" body lift on to reroute the exhaust up out of the way of harm which I am about to remove soon. Fenders are trimmed out too.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Bill

[/ QUOTE ]
    thats the exact way i want mine to sit!! thanks, what did you do to the fenders? Im wanting Bushwackers, do you know how much bigger they make the fenders?

16. Silver84k5

[ QUOTE ]
    HAD has crossed my mind, but im only 18 and money has its limits. But do you know how much a set of shafts will be? THe front shaft is dual cardian not CV

[/ QUOTE ]

well when you sell your DD you can get some /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

whats dual cardian? is that like the spicer ujoint setup on the front?

i know Gm used two different setups one was by Spicer and the other by saginaw... one used a flange that bolted to the tcase and the other used ubolts and the ujoint to bolt to the tcase? i think saginaw had the flange. which do you have?

17. warnoffroad

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well when you sell your DD you can get some /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

whats dual cardian? is that like the spicer ujoint setup on the front?

i know Gm used two different setups one was by Spicer and the other by saginaw... one used a flange that bolted to the tcase and the other used ubolts and the ujoint to bolt to the tcase? i think saginaw had the flange. which do you have?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its kinda like a 2 U joints 2"s away form eachother or like a super tiny shaft only both U joints aid in one angle.

Anyone know where to get a BDS online? I was jsut on there page and they include everything down to the T-case lowering kit, along with alot of info. It also says that with the 8" you can fit up to a 38x15 with a 12" wide wheel with 3.5 BS so i think ill go with them

18. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

Double cardan = commonly called CV by us off road junkies.

19. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

I used the front springs out of a 6x6 military truck had them re arched and removed a couple leafs gave me about 9" after they settled. they ride not to bad for the hight. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif only thing is these springs are 2 1/2 all the way through. instead of 3" at the ends like the stock springs. couple shims and a new set of shackles she bolted right up. the whole setup was preaty cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif but the 40s still hit with no /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif but only when she flexes.

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Depending on transmission, for an 8" lift, a HAD might be all but REQUIRED.

I just ordered my front HAD last week after years of listening to my CV bind. I'm done with that bullshit, and I'm doing it right.

With an 8" lift you're going to be running some pretty steep angles.