Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whats next

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by newGenk5, Sep 18, 2001.

1. newGenk5

newGenk5 Registered Member

okay what is the next best thing or things to do(in order). i have just added the larger wheels and tires 33's nothing special but enough.....now i have far less power. what is the next best thing to so, trainee or gears or add cool things to the engine. nothing has still been done to the engine, stock 350 and original drive shaft and gears.

any suggestions, was thinking about redoing the gear and the shaft but is that really the next best thing to do.....i was looking at the GREEN TRUCK from Offroad Design but some of that is GREEK to me....so english please...ha ha ha, thanks

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

What gears do you have in it now? I had 33's in mine with 3.73's, Th350, and a 400SBC and it had plenty of power.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

3. newGenk5

3.23's, standard 350, and the exhaust system is stock. think i know what to upgrade to.

DAMN, those are some awesome pictures. mine is more street orientated......

http://64.172.156.16/k5/

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

If you had power before you put the 33s on then regearing to 4.10 or so would totaly give you good lowend power. Do you plan on wheelin? If not then mabie 3.73 would be better for Hwy driving. realy depends on how you use your truck...

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

5. newGenk5

i want it to mostly be for power, i have a motorcycle and trailer and thigns of that nature...so for the most par ti want it to be set for the streets...but still be able to handle through the hills and snow.....

i thought 4 would be good but i will probably go with 3.73

thanks

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya I drove on 33s and 4.10s for a bit and the hwy speed was about 65mph @ 2900rpm or so. Now I'm running 35s and at 65 i'm down to 2650 or so.
    3.73 is what I had with my 33s for a long time and had great power for hwy and towing..

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

7. newGenk5

pictures

hey burt, how can i look at some picture of your 72, i tried to look at it but it said too many people looked at it or something

i guess i will try again later....

8. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Some pics of Burts rig here community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Thanks Frizz!!

Hmm, wierd error you got???????

10. newGenk5

got it, cool.........where were some of those pictures taken at. looks like a lot of fun.

this was the error i got...and i got it again just now
    "
    Sorry, this site is temporarily unavailable!
    The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer. Visit our help area for more information.
    Access to this site will be restored within an hour. Please try again later.
    http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099
    "

11. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

nice truck man, looks good

Like em big and topless
    Excuse me...Would you mind removing your import from under my chevy?

12. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Those are from Holister and Frank Raines.

A balanced diet is a beer in both hands.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

13. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I would suggest putting on a blower (671), adding nitrous, 4 inch exhaust, and dual Predator carbs and 4:11 gears in the rears. This should make the larger tires virtually un-noticable. Just my opinion mind-ya...
    Seriously, sounds like you have a good thing going, keep after it....

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

14. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I'd bet that the stock 350 is a little bit of the problem, as is the torque converter if you've got a slush-box. I've got 32s and 3.07:1 cogs and I've blown V10 Dodges into the weeds in drag races.

If you have an automatic, the first thing I'd do is change out the torque converter to something with a stall speed of 2400-2800 RPM and flashes to 2600-2800 RPM. Don't get a cheap one, because they don't last and beat the heck out of your transmission fluid. Coan, Continental, Art Carr all build good converters and Coan and Continental will do a lot of custom work if you tell them what you want.

The next step would be to address the engine. The stock 4-barrel intake isn't all that bad (if it's a pre-'75 intake), and the Quadrajet is a good carburetor. I'd look at the camming and put a cam in with intake duration in the 214-220 degree range (at 0.050") with a lobe separation angle of between 110 and 114 degrees. Make sure that you check your valve train to ensure that the lift you're going to get isn't going to end up with retainer to guide interference or coil bind.

The next step would be a good exhaust system with either headers or some good cast iron manifolds (are there any for the SBC?), a balance tube, and good mufflers.