Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's normal alternator voltage?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, May 13, 2007.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

After much fiddling about, I think the voltage gauge on my CUCV is going nuts. It's pinging into the orange zone and scaring me that I'm gonna fry my new batteries, and it wasn't doing this last week.

With a good DVM, I'm seeing about 14.3V out of each alternator, loaded (i.e. with the batteries connected) at any speed (doesn't go up much with RPM, i.e. it's the same just past idle or at WOT, at least as WOT as the 6.2 will go :D )

My gasser is about 14.7V past idle on that same DVM, so I would think the alternators are okay.

Does this sound like a normal voltage range, and if so, any of y'all have experience with the CUCV voltmeters frying? I'd just go to Kragen and get a new one, but it's 24V, so it'll take longer to find a new one... and I use it to gauge when the glow plugs are done, as I don't always hear the relay *click*.

-- A

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Normal voltage is 13.5-15.5 with 14.7 being about perfect.

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well, then I guess the gauge went on me. There and I'd figure the alternators to have more moving parts and be the ones to go bad. :confused:

-- A