Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whats normal engine temp.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Marshall, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

i have had my Jimmy for nearly a year know and im not sure if the temp. gauge works properly, it seems to run pretty cool...or thats what the gauge said. Do u think the gauge is broken or the engine runs cool?The needle doesnt move much.

/forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif350/208/3.73Gov-Lock/10Bolt/31"s /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The lowest temp t-stat that's easily available is 160, so if it reads below that then you have a bad gauge. </font color>

3. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

When we first started my truck after 1.5 years of sitting, the temp guage didn't move either..it stayed pegged to 160. Where it was when it wasn't running. After a few days of screwing around with different things, even swapping out the guage cluster, dash etc... we replaced the thermostat..once we put in the new thermostat- everything worked fine. Now it runs about 190 during the warmer months, I don't drive it in the winter, so I'm not sure where it would run when it's only 10' outside.

Brandy

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Your temp sender is located on the driver's side between the #1 and #3 plugs (the front two). Unhook the wire and check the gauge, it should remain at 100. Then take the wire and ground it out. Your gauge should go off the scale and peg out all the way to the right. It not, then you have a bad gauge. Temp senders rarely go bad, but it can happen. Drop in a new Stant Heavy Duty 195 thermostat or other quality unit and forget about it /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif