Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's required to install new carrier and R&P?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lotsa_Faith, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

What\'s required to install new carrier and R&P?

What tools would you need to install a new R&P and a new carrier? Would it be a good idea to take on the job if you've never done it before?

2. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

Re: What\'s required to install new carrier and R&P?

Your going to need a socket set ( unsure of specific sizes but I think 3/8 through 7/8 or 15/16) ,torque wrench, feeler gauges, dial indicator depth gauge mounted on a magnet stand, hydraulic press ( or a local shop to prees carrier bearing on usually will only cost around 20 to 30 bucks and about 15 minutes at most), lithium grease, some of that true blue stuff to check see how the teeth are meshing, possibly some air and an impact if you have access(just make it a little easier to disassemble. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gifJust a helpful hint: don't lose your shims they may actually be perfect for the new carrier if your lucky,either way you are going to need them. I have reused the old ones severall different times.Keep the in two piles just like they came out jsut in case. And good luck,its not real hard of a job but it can be costly if you make a mistake and don't catch it in time.Be careful & pay close attention./forums/images/icons/grin.gif Eisier if the rear end isn't under the vehichle. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Dont do it. Pay a professional. Especially on a 10/12 bolt, D44, or a D60. You will have to take the carrier to the machine shop every time you need to add or remove a shim on a D44. On a 10 bolt its a little better because the shims go on the other side of the carrier bearings. You might be able to pull off the gears on a 14 bolt with little trouble. But I called around and found a place that would only charge me hourly labor to install them if I providede the parts. My 14 bolt cost $125 and that included a crush sleeve and a pinion seal. The D44 I **had** cost $185 in labor/shop materials. Not too bad.

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Negative!!!!! You can get an extra set of carrier bearings and take an air grinder with a sand-stone fitting and hone the inner race of the bearing out so you can get the "setup" bearings on and off. Then once you get everything within specs, you take the good bearings to the machine shop and have them pressed on. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Hope this was helpfull to someone. It works great for me. I still have 3 sets of setup bearings. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif