Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's Sea Foam?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mammoth2, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Mammoth2

Mammoth2 Registered Member

What's Sea Foam?

Really.......does it work and how long does it last.

Once you use it is your tranny toast? :confused:

2. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Are you talking about reagular sea foam or their tranny stuff?

3. Mammoth2

I'll take both.........tranny first......what does it do....does it work?

one time use.......how long does it work for? :bow:

4. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

I've used it on my tranny and so far so good. here's what they say about it:

SEA FOAM TRANS TUNE

Automatic Transmission and Power Steering Tune-Up Formula

Cleans gum & varnish
    Smoothes rough and erratic shifting
    Maintains smooth operation
    Auto-transmission flush
    Power steering and rack and pinion flush
    Cleans and dries hydraulics

Works and Performs Instantly

Conditioner that is not a stop leak
    Cleans sticky valve bodies and governors
    Use to flush power steering and rack and pinion units
    Safe, fast, and reliable

A 100% pure petroleum product. SEA FOAM TRANS TUNE is a conditioner that is not a stop leak and is entirely compatible with all automatic transmission, power steering and hydraulic units.

When to Use SEA FOAM TRANS TUNE

For peak performance use SEA FOAM TRANS TUNE as directed when changing transmission fluid as preventive maintenance and to keep parts clean and maintain proper performance.
    When erratic shifting is experienced, add 1/2 pint as directed to restore smooth performance. Do not overfill. Fluid can be changed at regular service basis.
    When flushing is required prior to installing a new rack and pinion, use TRANS TUNE as directed.
    Results Used in Automatic Transmission

Smoothes rough shifting, skip shifting, and slow shifting.
    Removes harmful gum, varnish and moisture deposits from valve bodies, governors and other internal parts.
    For Use in Automatic Transmissions

With transmission at operating temperature, check the fluid level. Add 1/2 to 1 pint TRANS TUNE to the transmission fluid. This normally will not overfill the fluid level, however, the fluid level should never exceed the manufacturers recommended level.
    For best results use 1/2 to 1 pint TRANS TUNE in the transmission fluid prior to a transmission flush or fluid and filter change. Drive at least five miles shifting into all gears. If you are not able to drive the vehicle, shift into all gears for about 3 minutes with the brake or parking brake applied. This will allow TRANS TUNE to clean transmission valves and parts in each area. When additional cleaning is necessary add 1/2 pint of TRANS TUNE to the transmission fluid and change the transmission fluid on a regular service basis.
    A PROPERLY MAINTAINED AND CLEAN TRANSMISSION WILL RESULT IN SMOOTHER OPERATION AND LONGER LIFE!
    Results of Power Steering Flush

Prolongs power steering and rack and pinion life.
    Thoroughly cleans power steering system before installation of new rack and pinions and Power Steering Pumps.
    For Use in Power Steering Units

If rack and pinion or power steering pump replacement is necessary, be sure system is flushed before installing new rack or flush for preventive
    maintenance.
    To flush the power steering unit, drain power steering pump reservoir and fill the reservoir with 1/2 pint of TRANS TUNE. Run engine to pump fluid through system for 15 to 30 minutes, turning the steering wheel from lock to lock every 5 minutes. This will dissolve varnish and suspend contaminants into the fluid. Stop engine and drain fluid from reservoir placing the return line in drain pan. Cap reservoir. Disable ignition. Turn engine off with starter and run 1 1/2 pints of TRANS TUNE through power steering reservoir to flush system of all contamination. Then flush system with power steering fluid.
    After flush is completed refill reservoir with new power steering fluid.
    A properly maintained transmission and power steering unit results in smoother operation and longer transmission and steering unit life.

For Use in Hydraulics

Add 1 pint of TRANS TUNE to every four gallons of hydraulic fluid, to dry moisture and clean varnish from valves. For best results, use prior to changing hydraulic fluid.
    When additional cleaning is necessary add 1 pint of TRANS TUNE to every 8 gallons hydraulic fluid and change hydraulic fluid on a regular service basis.

5. Mammoth2

wow.........gotta put that stuff in my power steering then.....having some problems there....even though i shouldnt

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Sea Foam??

Gee,I always thought Sea Foam was that white stuff thats always on the beach.. :thinking: :doah: ..

But seriously,I've seen it in parts stores..sounds just like Berrymans tranny additive,or K-W brand..I've never used any of them--sound like snake oil to me!..most of that stuff is just kerosene basically..but it might work.

Only transmission additive I've used,and only because I've seen it work good is LUCAS brand,but its a conditioner,not a cleaner....but maybe "Sea Foam" is good too.. :confused: :crazy:

7. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Regular Sea Foam is like B12 Chemtool, but better. You run your truck and pull the vacuum line on the power booster. Put the vacuum line into the sea foam and let it soak it up. Turn engine off (or let it die when eating the sea foam) and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Start 'er up and watch all the carbon that pisses out the pipe. It'll smoke black for a few minutes. Just good for cleaning all the crap inside the intake.

8. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

A trick one old mechanic told me once was if you ever have a engine that has sat for a long time and got varnished up pour sea foam in the carb bowles and then try to start is. Cleans the varnish right out.