Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whats so bad about the ball style axles?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Seventy4Blazer, Oct 26, 2002.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i can get a ball axle(cant remember the correct name right now, its not a kingpin.)
    for CHEAP! its off a ferd, but i can also get one of 3 or 4 205's that will work for a doubler.

so why are these axles not used as much? do they suck? are they spendy?
    ANY info helps. including the proper name.
    grant

2. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    so why are these axles not used as much? do they suck? are they spendy?
    ANY info helps. including the proper name

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you taking about an eaton rear ... Maybe /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Since you mention kingpins, I'm guessing your talking about the common ball joint style knuckles like a D44 or C10. IIRC, some (all?) of the Ford D60s have ball joint knuckles. I think the only problem with them is that they are considered weaker. But for the most part this shouldn't be an issue...

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'm guessing that you're talking about a front axle that has a "ball" where we normally see the u-joint. It's called a closed-knuckle axle. They're good in mud since they're totally sealed. But they usually have pretty weak joints inside them. They don't use a standard u-joint. Various closed-knuckle axles have used different joint types over the years, most using some type of caged ball bearings to transfer the power between the inner and outer shafts. I don't think many of them came with disc brakes either as most manufacturers went to open-knuckle axles around the same time that they went to front disc brakes. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. Seventy4Blazer

yeah harry, you got it. thats the one. i thought there was another name for them. more "technical"
    but those are the ones i am talking about. i still have to jump up on the truck and make sure it is the right spring perch width an all. i cant tell the year of the ford. it is the right body style. if it is the right width and has disk(didnt pay that much attention) then i will pull the truck off the stack and pull the dang thing.
    thanks all for your help.
    Grant /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Oh yeah, since it's a Ford axle, the pumpkin is probably on the wrong side for our stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I've never paid much attention to the earlier ones, but in the 70's at least, they had the diff on the drivers side.

7. Seventy4Blazer

yeah, thta is no big deal. he has like 3 or 4 ford 205's that i can get. im not worried about that. i just need to go back tomorrow and see if it is disk brakes and the spring perches are right.
    Grant

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Spring perches are going to be the same as GM but no Disc brakes till 75 or 76 for Ford. I am sure they went to open knuckle before discs. I dont think anyone ever made the closed knuckle axle with disc's.

9. Seventy4Blazer

yeah, i looked at it today, DRUMS!!! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    i guess on to look for another one i go.
    Grant