Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats so cool about looking out your window while you wheel?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tecton, Dec 1, 2003.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i see all thes pictures of guys leaning out their windows to look at their tires...whats the deal?

Ive never done anything dangerous as far as wheeling, so elighten me as to the need to not be looking straight ahead.

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

It helps to see where at least one of the tires is going when your are doing something difficult.

This can actually be bad if the other tire placement suffers.

3. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

Once you go over some rocks or stumps and get high centered, you will see why. I look out my window to make sure my tire is on the obstacle, so it doesnt get hung up between my diff and t-case, frame, etc. That is one of the reasons why guys go w/o doors as well. That way you get a better view of your tire.

4. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's just a bad habit!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    My fellow club members YELL at me...
    "Keep Your head in...before it gets knocked-off!!!"

5. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Plus it's just cool to watch your tires work /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

When rock crawling your tires need to always be on top. your hood is 4 feet off the ground so looking over it won't help. This is a pic of me on predetor and I am watchin the rear part of the slider and the tire to make sure it climbs instead of scoots. There was a small drop on the right of my truck and a little scoot would have put me on my diff and and in a bad position.
    [​IMG]
    That is also the reason a lot of us take our doors off to wheel.

7. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I do it because my wipers don't work anymore and my window gets packed with mud. I should get them fixed one of these days, mud tastes bad after a while... maybe I'll get used to it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

It's a fullsize thing, the hood on a K5 is BIG and when climbing all you see is the hood. Sometimes you can get a better feel for where you going when looking out to the side.

9. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

its how i sandblast my face...its really cool to hammer down and get a mouthfull of mud and dirt when you're in 4wd..

10. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

LOL, yeah theres nothing like getting those front tires spinning and looking out the window just to catch 5 lbs. of gravel with your teeth.

11. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It's a fullsize thing, the hood on a K5 is BIG and when climbing all you see is the hood. Sometimes you can get a better feel for where you going when looking out to the side.

[/ QUOTE ]

AMEN Brother!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

12. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I do it. I just watch my drivers front tire and make sure it hits everything it is supposed to. If your looking straight out you will have no idea what is happening at either of your tires, at least I know where one is going...

[​IMG]

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i do it to check wear my tire is..and plus i love watchin em go through tons of gewy gummy mud! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Watch yer tires. See farther up the hill w/o hood in the way. Eat Branches for free lunch. Sweet posing pics. Good neck exercise. Prevent seat damage due to pucker of certain orifices. Exhaust makes for a good buzz.

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Eat Branches for free lunch. Sweet posing pics. Good neck exercise. Prevent seat damage due to pucker of certain orifices. Exhaust makes for a good buzz.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I agree with the others. It just makes sense. The only way you have any clue where your tires are is if you watch the front one. If ya see the badlands video I smoked a big ass rock with my front diff cause I was trying to put my driver's tire on a rock but my diff hit that rock on the passenger side instead!

I think one main thing that makes sense about a Ford is that the diff is on the driver's side. That way if you place your tire on an obstacle you'd know that you were ok. With us, we could crawl up on a rock and still end up hitting the diff on something. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

17. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    its how i sandblast my face...its really cool to hammer down and get a mouthfull of mud and dirt when you're in 4wd..

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    i see all thes pictures of guys leaning out their windows to look at their tires...whats the deal?

Ive never done anything dangerous as far as wheeling, so elighten me as to the need to not be looking straight ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're missing the point.....It's so that when someone snaps a photo, you can get your ugly mug in the pic!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yeah, OK....and all that other crap about visibility is true too.

19. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

You lean out the window so that the air can wipe the sh!t eatin grin off your face after you just farted /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

20. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You lean out the window so that the air can wipe the sh!t eatin grin off your face after you just farted

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif So you mean I'm not the only one who has to do that! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif