Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats so great about....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hunterguy86, Nov 21, 2005.

1. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Hey computer guys, I've heard about using Linux as ur operating system.
    Whats so great about it? I've never used it or seen it, but I was just curious as to the benefits of it.

Also, how about firefox. I downloaded it to my computer and tried it, and have tried it at work. I see no diffrence.

So whats the deal here?

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Linux is like wheeling a Cushman

Firefox is like wheeling a Chevy as opposed to... I dunno, some crap

Metaphor Over

3. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

well put.

Linux is a very powerful, very free, very customisable, and very steep learning curved OS.

Firefox WAS a very secure browser, until it broke into the mainstream and has since become a target of the darkside (spyware makers, virus writers and the like). It still has some very good security, and is updated frequently enough, however most of the same securty is now included in IE (with updates).

Tabbed browsing owns souls (more than one "window" in one window)

4. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Will linux run a lot of the programs designed for IE?

Ive never used it and am curious about it. Would it benefit me in any way to run it? What are the pros/cons of usin it over windows XP?

All I really do is school work, browse the net, play games occasionally and listen to music.

5. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

uhm, yes and no. With some work and different programs you can make a linux system do anything you can do in windows, and more.

Pro's and Con's really depend on what you want to do. Linux was origionally designed for the server class machine, and has only recently started to become useable as a desktop OS. Like i said, it can do whatever you want, however you might have to get used to doing it a different way.

If you are simply looking to experiement with linux, i would recommend checking out something like knoppix. Knoppix is a compleat linux desktop system that runs entirly off a CD. You just download, burn and boot from the disk. It does not use your harddrives at all so you wont lose your windows setup and don't have to risk messing up dual booting the first time you try to set it up. The downside to that is since it runs off CD you cant save things, and really only get to poke around and get a feel for a linux system.

If you have a machine to spair you could look into something pre-built like kubuntu, which is pretty much the most compleat ("out of the box" for lack of a better term) linux. The install is pretty simple and will give you a good idea of what you are dealing with.

PM me if you have any specific questions, and remember, as with anything geek related, google is your friend. Someone else has already had the same problem guerenteed, why spend time fixing something they already did.