Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's the A.I.R. system?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by woodpecker, Oct 20, 2000.

1. woodpecker

woodpecker Registered Member

What\'s the A.I.R. system?

Well, I'm new to ColoradoK5, but have to tip my hat to everyone I've encountered on the site so far. While in the market for a Blazer, I stumbled across this site, and have to say that I've seen nothing but the coolest owners/enthusiasts. In fact, I emailed a few people about their own trucks, and everyone was completely friendly and informative. A special thanks to The Boss! Sorry about your rig bein' in the shop though?

I have yet to start on a web-page, and more importantly, I haven't done anything to my still stock '86 K5 Silverado. Since it is my daily driver, I'm needing to get a few of the basics fixed first. Which brings me to my question:

What is the purpose of the A.I.R. system, and does it hurt the engine in the long run if it's not operating? Mine is totally disconnected (no belt), but the truck seems to run fine (with the exception of the loose throttle shaft on the carb).

Any info would be appreciated.

woodpecker

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: What\'s the A.I.R. system?

Sounds like Somg stuff, but sence I'm exempt[​IMG] from smog stuff I'm just guessing.....

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Uh... yep, definetly sounds like that e-mishuns stuff I keep hearin about. All I know about e-mishuns is if my truck had to be tested, the dial would go all the way around a few times! [​IMG] [​IMG] </font color=blue>

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well it introduces air into the exhaust manifolds to create an afterburn to clean up the emmisions. While the engine will run fine is if the engine gets out of tune you increase the potential to clog the cat.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/