Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's the Amp on Ignition wires?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boss, Oct 23, 2000.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

What\'s the Amp on Ignition wires?

Ok, as some of yall know, I shorted out some wires last week and almost burnt my truck down. Lots of stuff got messed up etc, etc, etc. Well anyway, I fixed them all this weekend. Replaced all the bad wires and all my melted tubing to my RS9000 shocks. Truck worked fine over the weekend. Drove it around some, thought everything was all good till this morning. Truck was dead again for no reason. This really pissed me off. Made me late again for work. Well, the problem is that I found it was a fuse has burnt out on my ignition wire. I put a remote fuse inbetween my ignition wire so that if anything ever happened again, it will end there and not burn through any other. I put a 20 amp fuse in there and that is what burnt out.
    What is the correct fuse I'm suppose to put there for the Ignition wires? I didn't think there were higher than 20 amp fuses, but I may be wrong. Thanks for your help.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Re: What\'s the Amp on Ignition wires?

So you found a burned out fuse or fusible link? I would think that the rating of the original device would be a place to start. Amperage ratings of fusible links are identified by their color.

New 4x4 driver: "A lot of money in that truck, eh?"
    Me: "Oh, about 1/4 of a new one"

3. Boss

Well, basically what happened was that I put a too small guage wire that connects from the remote solenoid to the ignition wires. So as I was cranking for too long, the small wire got too much power going through it at once that it just melted and melted everything it touched. So I replaced all that.
    But anyway, keep in mind that my truck is over 25 years old and it doesn't use the color fuses. It uses fuses that are clear tubed cylinder type (old style). I guess I can take off the fuse for the ignition on the fuse box and check what amp that is. Thanks
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

4. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Blue85 is right, the fusible links are rated by the color of the wiring which also relates to the gauge of the wiring. The smaller the gauge, the larger the diameter, the higher the current rating and vice-versa. If I remember right from your original post, the problem was not from something shorting out but from the K5 not wanting to start and overheating your wiring. I have a 30 amp fuse listed on my fuse box (don't remember for what) and I'm using a 25 amp for the power seats. Is the wire that you put the fuse in the one that goes to your solenoid or does it go to the distributor? Also, did you use the same wire gauge as the burnt wire when you replace it (it's acceptable to use a larger wire diameter when replacing wire but never use a smaller wire diameter)? One other thing, did you replace all of the fusible link on that particular wire? On my 79, there is a fusible link section on the firewall and another section down at the starter.

5. Boss

Wheels, the wire is to the Remote Solenoid. I did replace the wire with lower guage (larger diameter wire) than the previous one that burnt out. You're right, I did overheat the wire last time b/c truck wouldn't start and I cranked it too long. I had a 20 amp fuse handy with me when I was replacing everything and put that in. When I saw that the 20 amp fuse was burnt this morning, I replaced it with another 20 amp (b/c that is all I have handy) and it fired right up. But I guess I'm going to be going to the parts store and pick up a 30 amp fuse, maybe that will hold up. Thanks for your help.

[​IMG]