Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whats the best a 4 cyl can sound?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Dec 11, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i got this 4 banger s-10..what should i put on it to make the little thing sound best a 2.5 can sound? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

big tip and a big chrome muffler that you can see.... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif no but seriosly..and im NOT taking about that anoying ass fart tube rice sound god i cant STAND that....theres gatta be something that would make it sound a little more "beefy" (if you can put it that way /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif)

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Stick a built 350 in it. Then you'd have 4 cyl's on each side. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

haha..yea thats true..thats kinda the reason im ganna hang on to the 305 from my blazer..id like to eventually rebiuld it and throw it in there, no its not a 350..but it IS better than a 2.5 /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

not much better. for the money just get a 350 core from a salvage yard if you are going to rebuild. Dollar for dollar it costs the same to rebuild a 350 as a 305. Use the 305 as a boat anchor.

The best the little 2.2 in my old dodge omni sounded was when I ripped half the exhaust off while driving a trail to go hunting /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Just my opinion if you enjoy the sound of a healthy V-8 you will never enjoy the sound of anything less /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

4cyl sound the best as they are making their way through a shredder

lol

but seriously, new stock exhaust pipes for the truck will make it sound like new again like it supposed to

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

thats prolly true /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

The best sound is crunching it underneath your '86....

A 305 would be great in an S-10....

I have nothing better to contribute.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i got this 4 banger s-10..what should i put on it to make the little thing sound best a 2.5 can sound? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The best a 4-cylinder can sound is when it has an ultra-quiet factory exhaust system on it. That way you won't draw attention to the fact that you're trying to make a 4-banger sound high-performance.

Paul 'X' [​IMG]

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea..prolly should just keep it stock lol..but im ganan take the cat out..its rotted out along with half the exhuast from there back..so ill just cut all that of and put some fo that flexable tubing i used to make the exhaust for my k-10 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    4cyl sound the best as they are making their way through a shredder

lol

but seriously, new stock exhaust pipes for the truck will make it sound like new again like it supposed to

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. noJeepshere

noJeepshere I Drive Trains! Premium Member

4 bangers sound best when theyre running on 2 cyliders. then you know its time for a 350. but if you want sound, put a glasspack and a chrome tip on it.
    CHEVYs rule but GMCs are better
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

15. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

once you turn the engine off....i like that

16. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    yea..prolly should just keep it stock lol..but im ganan take the cat out..its rotted out along with half the exhuast from there back..so ill just cut all that of and put some fo that flexable tubing i used to make the exhaust for my k-10 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ooo, no no. the "iron duke" 4 cyl is a great little motor. redo the exhaust like factory. high flow cat at most with the oe style mufflers. those little things need a bit of back pressure to maintain horsies at low rpm. as for swapping in a small block, you don't have the sub frame for it. the 2.8 s bodies are best for that. 4 cyl trucks require a bit more fabbing than just swapping engine mounts. if you are going to truly go dd with this one, i suspect gas mileage and low maintenance are high on your list. oe exhaust will keep it running better.

17. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have always thought 4 bangers sounded good with headers and a glasspack with The pipe ran all the way out the back. Nice mellow tone. Not ricy at all. Like the way older sports cars sound.

18. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

on my s-10 it sounded great when the mufler fell off and i ran it right off the cat. extremely cheap also, if you have a good cat /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I like the 2.5 in my celebrity (except it has no power) I religiously beat the crap out of it, never add any oil (even though it leaks a lot) and rev it to it's limits and it still hasn't popped... rev it until it starts to spudder... it sounds like a go-kart on steroids /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif who cares about the exhaust you have it won't last as long as that motor will /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

20. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Just my opinion if you enjoy the sound of a healthy V-8 you will never enjoy the sound of anything less /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    BIG 10-4 on that one! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I would put the quietist muffler you can find on it.