Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whats the best and thickest rustproof and undercoat?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by only 31s, Feb 9, 2005.

1. only 31s

only 31s 1/2 ton status

just bought a sub w/ a superclean undercarriage{in texas}and need a kickass undercoating for protection from northeast sand and salt any info? Thanks!:grin: :)

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

maybe rhino-liner??

I cant say what works best--here in MA near cape cod where I live,I have tried everything from paint,roof coating,tar,driveway sealer,rubberized 3M undercoating,aluminum mobile home roof coating,linseed oil,and crankcase drain oil on my trucks--it all helped some,but in the end it all came off,and the trucks rusted badly anyway--undercoating can peel away and let condensation form in the "bubble" and your floor rots away anyway-

-I think plain paint,like rustoleum,or a "miracle"paint like POR-15 works better than uncercoating,and drain oil seems to work real good too,if you can get drain oil from diesel engines its even better,but the soot and oil makes for unpleasant working conditions under your truck(but all the bolts will still have heads,and not look like rivets,and will unscrew instead of breaking off!)--only bummer is you have to re-apply it fairly often,without a lift its not easy,and its a very messy nasty job...

I have no experience with the newer "brush on" bedliner stuff,that might be better than paint or undercoating--or Rhino Liner or a similar product might last the longest??---all I know is its a sin to bring anything rust free to new england--it wont last too long here,no matter what you put on it!!:frown1:

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The 3M stuff that is about $10 a can. Nothing even compares to it.

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I work for 3M, what is the product name or number. I might can get it at a discount. $10.00 a pint/quart/gallon?...........wonder what a 55 gallon drum would cost?:confused:

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

6. dontoe

Awwwwwwwwww.......can't read the label...........where's me glasses?

Now let's see.....................cr@p still can't read it.

Now where was I......oh yea..............I still can't read it.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............:o

7. ryoken

8. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

How much area does 1 can cover?

9. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

http://www.rattleguard.com/

I am using this on my frame off resto of one of my v3500's/ frame and and under the cab, rockers /... it comes in colors... and is pretty darn good (you can buy it on ebay)... much more durable than undercoat but also way more prep.... in my case sandblasting or sanding

If I didnt use this I agree with everyone else ... the 3m stuff is the best "undercoat" out there... and easier to repair and respray

cam

10. diesel4me

3M pricey but good

I sold tons of the 3M rubberized stuff over the years at the parts store and body supply places I worked at--a lot of the guys fixing clunkers up in their own shops would just grind down the rusty rockers and door bottoms,bondo them up with "tiger hair" or other bondo,then a quickie DA job to smooth them out,and they would mask off the lower 6-8 inches of the car off and do the whole bottom with the 3M undercoating..The body shops and guys who did this made quite a bit of cash,a lot of folks didnt want to shell out thousands for a new paint job,they just wanted a few rusted spots patched and make it look decent enough to pass for an inspection sticker,so the "flat black bottom" can be seen around here to this day on many cars and trucks--

The shops always insisted on 3M brand,they claimed its the only one that wont soften up and get gooey and stick to your clothes in the hot sun of summer--I know one shop used another brand as a bedliner for a pickup,and it was a disaster,it stuck to your shoes!!

3M makes another product called "Body Shutz",sorry,I cant remember the part #,it came in liquid form and you had to buy a special gun that screwed onto the cans to spray it with a compressor,it works good under the car,but not for external application...:crazy:

11. rerun93

rerun93 Registered Member

has anyone used this stuff on the inside? i have been lookin around for a inside coating under my carpet. tryin to seal it from rustin but also wanna sound dentin it if i can.

ty
    ReRuN

12. ryoken

yup, its also used inside doors as a sound deadener... i've done quite a few interior floors and it works great.. the reason is because it actually dries, whereas others will always have that stickyness...

13. dontoe

Kool............I'll see if one the Tech Rep's can get some at a discount.

14. rerun93

rerun93 Registered Member

any idea on how many cans it might take to do the inside along with the inner panels? and should i spray rust inhibitor primer first or just spray this on bare metal. will it seal it up?

15. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

The 3M stuff, be careful. There are two different ones. The 'newer' version and the 'older' version.
    My cousin did his burban frame and the stuff was awesome. Dried kinda hard and looked good. Then he went back a few weeks later for some more. The can was the same, but the number was different. Apparently they stopped selling the first number we got because of the 'environmental crap'. So we bought the 'newer' stuff and it SUCKS. It stays real rubbery and scraps off real easy.
    I will try and see if I can find an old can of the good stuff and get the number.

It may just be in california they dont sell it. I tried a few different places and they all told me the same thing.

Maybe dontoe can find out some info on this?

16. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

i have no experience with this.

but either i read this hear or four wheeler. But ive read where people used bed liner and rolled it/sprayed it onto the frame. And also used it all over the interior floor.

17. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Actually I was thinking about this. I think they might be the same part number, but one was free of some solvents and sucked (the newer version). I'll have to see if I still have both cans at the house.

18. dontoe

I got a PM from a member so I thought I'd post the same bad answer here.

"Well I talked to the Tech Rep today and he said we are a manufacturing company so we (employees) can't purchase directly let alone get a discount. :mad:
    Really great seeing as we produce millions of bucks a month in protective tape! Sorry."

19. diesel4me

cant leave a good thing alone....

I wouldn't doubt if the environMENTAL nazi's made 3M change the formula of their undercoating,seeing how well it worked,it was the only one that you could use on the outside of the vehicle and would dry completely and not get sticky in hot weather....I guess just like laquer paint,and many other body shop related stupp,the EPA had to ban anything that worked good--they messed with Rustoleum paint's formula too,its not as good as the "old stuff" it doesnt last as long or stop rust as good as it used too.

.I look in older hardware stores for "old stock",and ask the owners if they have any of the older cans left in the back room--one guy sold me a case of 4 gallon cans of aluminum paint for 25 bucks,but said he could be fined for selling it--so I paid cash and got no recepit,since I couldnt return it anyway....I wish the government would keep their noses out of do-it yourselfers lives,and the products we use--like the average Joe in his garage is going to destroy the ozone layer or cause global warming just because he paints one or two cars a year in his garage...:surepal: :surepal: --but they can detonate neuclear warheads in the desert,and call it "testing"......:mad:

20. ryoken

ask an old body guy like me about HVLP... fought that like h*ll :mad: :crazy:

used to love when my dad would bring me home sandpaper, etc from work.. then he retired and i couldn't get it anymore.. :frown1:

3M is tops in what they do.. masking tape... 2040 series budget line, can't beat it.. finelines, rolocs, sandpaper, etc.. nothing beats the roloc surface conditioning pads for gasket prep..