Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's the best city in Colorado.....

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by blazenwhip, May 24, 2006.

1. blazenwhip

blazenwhip 1/2 ton status

What's the best city in Colorado for affordable living, (assuming an income of around 35k) good 4 wheeling, good hunting and good fishing?:confused: I'm wanting to relocate to a nothern city. Arizona northern cities are nice, but the job market is no good.

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I don't know about cost of living, but the Colorado Springs area would be nice for all the stuff you have listed.

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

C/S is a decent area. You can still outside of town a litlle ways for affordable living. I lived in Colorado Center, which was a few miles SE of the actually city. However, it was really easy to still get wherever I wanted to. You could also live in Security or Fountain, which are both just South of C/S.

What type of work do you do? That might make a difference where you want to live.

4. rd durham

rd durham Registered Member

5. blazenwhip

thanks I'll check those places out.
    As far as work, currently I'm a soldier living it up in Iraq, otherwise law enforcement.

6. TDAWG1

TDAWG1 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Obviously Grand Junction is the best place No offense to everyone else, but we have mountains and desert areas lakes and everything in all directions about 20 to 45 minutes away, and yet we are not a big city life area like the springs or Denver, Its still a good place to have a family. One major problem of course is that we are the Meth capitol of the world.... Which means some areas are much better for a fam then others.
    Weve got some fellas from the zona here I think they like it well enough, maybe they will post, Lord knows we could use another K5er here. Hope this helps you on this end of our great state, I am sure anywhere you choose you will be happy. Except maybe far eastern CO / Kansas ll

7. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester 1/2 ton status

Does it have to be in Colorado, or can it be REAL close? I have lived in Colo Springs, and it is REAL nice, Denver is a rat race, and the rats are winning...Ft.Collins and Greely are college/universaty towns (enough said). I really like/love Cheyenne Wyoming, and it is only 12 miles over the Colorado/Wyoming border..
    We rent a nice 3-bdrm, 1-bath(no garage) duplex here in town for 550.00 a month. Our bills, with full digi cable, rent, utils(no water, landlord pays that), and a family plan with 3 cell phones, oh and a 80.00/mo storage unit(10x30), comes out to about 1200.00/mo. VERY LOW cost of living...and Wyoming has one of the lowest unemployment rates of the country...if I remember right.
    We found a Modular Sales place here in Cheyenne that said they can get us a 4bdrm/2 1/2 bath double wide modular home on a crawl space foundation, and 5 acres of land for some where around $165,000.00-$180,000.00 out east of town a short ways. Just some food for thought........

I just saw what you do for a living...FORGET I SAID anything! We have enough cops here! lol ! Just Kidding.... We also have Warren AFB here.

8. blazenwhip

thanks for the tip. I've been researching what eveyone is suggesting. I appreciate it!

9. blazenwhip

I guess it doesn't have to be, but i figured I'd better narrow it down and do the research. I'll check all the suggestions out. Thanks!

10. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

yeah i was in laramie for 3 month when i have money i want to move out there , it is so nice , and so beautiful . The cost of living definately is less than around chicago like i am now but i think there is more quality of life , such as nature etc. also there is some really good wheeling out there

11. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Agreed. I lived in Cheyenne for a year and loved. I left for a woman. Silly me :doah: Anyway, in Cheyenne, there are two speeds of life: slow & stop. Nothing fast paced there. I really miss that sometimes.

12. blazenwhip

What City Has The Best Wheelin' Trails Near By?

13. TDAWG1

Grand Junction of course!!! Well its Colorado silly there everywhere!

14. blazenwhip

So far I'm leaning toward GJ vs. CS. One thing I have to consider is if there is a Army Reserve Unit that I can transfer to. I think CS would have more opportunities in that regard.

15. TDAWG1

No we have an army reserve unit here too

16. blazenwhip

That's good to know. I'll have to research what units are in the area. I've got some time. I don't come home until Oct.

17. TDAWG1

well Good Luck

18. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

C/S is a military town. Literally. You'll be very at home here. And the Sherrif's Dept and City Police are always hiring. Infact we even have a CK5er as a Sherrif already. Also there's wheeling very close and housing is cheap compared to Denver. Move a little east of town and it becomes super-cheap.

I must admit, however, Denver seems to have better junk yards. I miss the Pull-N-Save and Sidewinder.

19. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

At least you have junkyards! The closest one to me is 100 miles away!!!!

20. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

There's always your neighbors. :D