Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's the best motor and tranny oil to use in my rig.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chaka73, Apr 28, 2000.

1. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

What\'s the best motor and tranny oil to use in my rig.

I would like to know what kind of oil do you all run, what would be the best kind to use for all weather, and for all kinds of uses like offroading, highway, thanks.

keep blazin !!!

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Re: What\'s the best motor and tranny oil to use in my rig.

My chemistry teacher back in high school used to work for an oil place. It was an independent place that tested oils. He said for automotive use, Quaker State won almost every type of test they put it through. Mind you, this was 6 years ago and he was only talking about conventional oil and not synthetics, but I still take his advice. I've used QS ever since he told me that.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Make a search on a previous post. It mentions a site that has great info on oils and oil filters. The most important thing I remember is to stay away from Fram oil filters.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

4. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

i use mobile 1 or castrol synthetic oils. my friend whos a mechanic said that hes torn apart engines that have run these oils their whole life and there is no wear. to rebuild you throw rings in(for the hell of it) do a valve job and your good to go. the only thing is if you have an oil leak you will burn more oil. also these oils are good for almost all temperatures and provide superrior starting protaction.

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

The post Blazer79 is referring to is titled something like "Amsoil", lots of good info on that post thread.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

6. Oil Man

Oil Man Registered Member

chaka73,
    Here are the oils we've had tested in the past 2 years. Some last year and some the year before.

LE has tested between the two types of oils (synthetic and Petro) Some of them are, Castrol Syntec, Amsoil 15w40, Mobil-1, Premium Blue 2000 15w40, Shaffer Supreme 7000 15w40. All synthetic.)

The test was the Falex Wear ASTM D-2670
    And the TFOUT oxidation test ASTM D-4742

In the Falex wear test the test is a pin that rotates at 290 RPM and it is sandwiched between 2 vee blocks to simulate the bearings around the crank. The pin and vee blocks are supmerged in the test oil. The vee blocks are squeezed against the pin by an automatic loading gear that is set at a prescribed pressure. There are 2 ways to fail the test (1) if the pin and vee bolcks sieze or (2) if the wear at the pin and vee blocks is so severe the automatic loading gear can't keep up with it. When the pressure at the pin and vee blocks are set at (example 1000 bls) then if the wear got to 950 lbs the automatic loading gear would click over 1 tooth to increase the pressure back to 1000 lbs. This simulates the driveing conditions. In this test the lower number shows lower wear.

The TFOUT is an oxidation test that best simulates what our engines do to an oil. The higher number means the oil will last longer before it increases in viscosity enough to change the oil.

OIL PASS/FAIL TEETH TFOUT
    Amoco Premier Fail ------- 265
    Cat Diesel Fail ------- 209
    Chevron Delo 400 Fail ------- 342
    Mobil Delvac 1300 Super Pass 18 258
    Mystic JT-8 Fail ------- 148
    Shaffer Supreme 7000 Fail ------- 253
    Shell Rotella T Fail ------- 163
    Premium Blue 2000 Fail ------- 291
    Amoco 300 Fail ------- 209
    Amsoil Pass 9 219
    Case Fail ------- 190
    Castrol RX Super Fail ------- 178
    Citgo Ditgard 500 Fail ------- 222
    Coastal Unilube Fleet Fail ------- 134
    Bobil Delvac 1230 SAE 30 Fail ------- 107
    Moper Fail ------- 121
    Motorcraft Fail ------- 144
    Mr. Goodwrench Pass 16 137
    Pennzoil Long-life Pass 17 331
    Shell Rimula Super HPDEO Pass 13 227
    Shell Rimula-X HPDEO Fail ------- 86
    Shell Rotella T SAE 30 Fail ------- 151
    Tech 2000 Fail ------- 140
    Total Rubia Diesel 4000 Fail ------- 130
    Universal SHPD Pass 13 153
    Premium Blue Pass 16 361
    Castrol Syntec SAE 5w30 Pass 13 195
    Castrol Super Fleet Pass 16 243
    Mobil-1 Fail ------- 180
    Lubrication Engineers 8800 Pass 5 323
    Lubrication Engineers SAE 30 Pass 5 253

Of all the oils tested the Lubrication Engineers oil looks like the lowest wear and very good oxidation resistance for long oil drains if the user wanted to.

For example;
    Amoco Premier--fail--265 This means that it failed the Falex wear test and had an oxidation resistance of 265 on the TFOUT test.

Lubrication Engineers -- pass 5---325 This means that it passes the Falex test with 5 clicks on the Falex wear test and had an oxidation resustance of 325 on the TFOUT.

Sincerely. Kevin

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Y'know, it's kinda funny..........I was using Castrol in my 6.2 for a long time. One time I changed the oil and used Pennzoil and I could have sworn that my pressure was better. When I changed it again, the used oil even looked and felt cleaner. Usually with a diesel it would be pretty hard to tell. But looking at the results of these tests, it probably wasn't in my head. I guess I'll go back to the Pennzoil next oil change and see if it happens again.........

8. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

I have used Castrol 20w-50 GTX for ever. Show Car, Race Boat, except this blazer currently hasa 350 factory fresh so 10w 30 is its requirements. But the new engine is going to run castrol 20w-50 GTX. Its thick and lubricates well. And for long idling sessions maintains viscosity

<font color=purple>79' K-5 396cid 600hp, TH350, NP203</font color=purple>
    http://79blueknight.homepage.com