Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats the best rearend??? *DELETED*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 83ChevK5, Jun 6, 2002.

1. 83ChevK5

83ChevK5 Registered Member

Post deleted by 83ChevK5

2. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Whats the best rearend???

How big of tires are you going to want to run? How big of a motor do you want to run?

3. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> Shannon Elizabeth's is pretty fine ! Just kidding ........ The strongest is the 14 bolt FF but it may not be what you need ......... It all depends on your Blazers usage and the gearing and tire size you'll be running.....

4. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

if you wanna run the the strongest axle ever put under a truck as far as 1 tons go do a 14bolt or a dana 70. Depending on what size tire you run and much horsepower and torque youre throwing to it you might not need to go that beefy.

Later

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Where in Washington are ya? Check out the Pacific Northwest Forum on this board - have a Portland area chapter and Seattle chapter.

14BFF is a killer tough axle for the rearend - Dana 60 for the front. I run both, 14's are inexpensive, D60's are very spendy and somewhat hard to find, but both are relatively easy to bolt in. Probably will need new wheels and/or tires to match the 8 lugs but there are now steel 8 lugs in 15" to keep your current tires. Lockers are also something you should consider.

6. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

A 5 ton rockwell is pretty tough.

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

u need a 14BFF. it is the toughtest thing availbile for cheap. It is the Chevy 350 of axles.

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Unless he wants to keep the 6 lug wheels then maybe a 14b SF. That maybe the best compermise axle for a K5

9. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Dont beat around the bush on this one, upgrade to the 14bff. It is cheap, strong, and you can get a Detroit locker for it for about $327. You can find 14bff for about $150, will likely need to spend that much on wheel bearings and brakes and that kind of stuff. Once you get it together though, you will have a super strong rearend that will give you trouble free service for years.

You will need to upgrade your front end to 8 lug which will cost you another couple of hundred dollars, and get new 8 lug rims.

It sounds like a lot of money, but is worth every cent. I go to school full time and work only part-time and was able to scrape together enough money to do it. Took me 2 months to do all the work because i had only about 1 day a week to work on it.

There is a club, PNWFS4X4's here in WA &amp; OR. If you live somewhere in the Seattle area there are a lot of guys who can help you find the parts you need and do the work.

Also, don't be affraid if you have not done a lot of this kind of work before. I did all my stuff with the help of a friend and my Haynes book.

10. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> You find me one and I'll buy it !

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Ryan,

There is an additional thing that need to be mentioned here....the "getting it home" factor. The key point about a full-floating rear axle is that if your ever DID break an axle, the wheel will stay attached to the axle and you can at least limp it home.

With a SF axle.....10-bolt, 12-Bolt and even 14SF....if that axle breaks.....the wheel and what's left of the axle will fall out of the housing! If you wheel in the middle of nowhere.....that could be a BIG deal.

There is one other thing to consider.....you can always buy a 14BFF and have it converted to 6-lug. It won't cost you as much as doing all the 8-Lug swap/new wheels route, but you'll still get the advantage of a full-floating rear axle.

There are plenty of ways to add "beef" to your truck....you just need to figure out what your needs are....