Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats the best soft top?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by aksidentproan, Jan 25, 2002.

1. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

In a few months I am going to ditch my hard top for a soft top. The hard top has a few cracks and chips in it and all together makes the truck look ghetto. I have seen the fast trac tops and like the look of them more then the snap top. Whos sells these the cheepest? Any other suggestions? Feel free to check out <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/aksidentproan>my pics</a>

1970 Blazer, <font color=orange>ORANGE</font color=orange>, 3-speed manual, NP205, 33" tires <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/aksidentproan>Love Shack Pictures</a>

2. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

Well I will put in my $.02 here. I bought a Kayline top about 3 years ago, the 'snap on' style. At the time the fastrac was not available or I would have bought it!

I LOVE taking the top down and driving around town. I can put the top down in just a couple minutes, less if someone helps.

Roll up sides and back is a Like and dislike. The fastrac style zips out and that is one of the things I wish mine did.

Fairly easy to install, but measure 2/3 times before drilling, etc. If you get this one email me backchannel and I will write up some install tips!

Dislikes:

Sides dont zip out. Snaps keep breaking! You will have to buy/make a snap tool becuase they will break fairly often. El cheapo tin in those snaps.

Drilling 40plus holes in the Jimmy! Noisy...but that was expected and not really a big deal.

They could have designed the side pieces to bolt into the same holes as the hard top instead of drilling yet more holes! If you buy this style you could modify this some and save some drilling. Wish I would have thought of it before putting mine on.

Wishes:

Zip out sides and back.

Possibly an option where there would send a 'bikini' along with the full top that has the EXACT same snap placement. IE I could snap it in quickly and back over the roll bar.

Tinted windows (dont know if it was option then, is NOW, take this option!)

Slide style top would have been nice, again is now avail in fastrac.

A BOOT for the top to wrap up in when layed down behind rear seat.

A BOOT for 'wrapping' the top around my roll bar and leaving the back open for hauling stuff. I currently fold my top fwd and wrap it around the rollbar and thus accomplish this somewhat. I use the straps to tie it around the rollbar.

A way to make the top fold FWD and thus act like a bikini top. Similar to above but leaving the top snapped into the windshield, but have the rest tucked away.

MAJOR WISH!!!! I want to make a tap that snaps on windshield and goes over rollbar and DOWN, thus creating the pickup 'look' if you will. I am eventually gonna have one of these custom made.

I would be more than happy to go into more detail, feel free to email me!

Sam

3. aksidentproan

Thanks. I have seen a top called a "Can-Back" Does anyone know if these are made for our trucks? I like these because you can put a rack on it and hold 300lbs of stuff (ie. spare tire, high-lift jack)

Evan

1970 Blazer, <font color=orange>ORANGE</font color=orange>, 3-speed manual, 33's <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/aksidentproan>Love Shack Pictures</a>

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Can Back doesn't make one for the full convert Blazers. If you do a search back you will see that a bunch of people tried to get them to and it fell thru. I think your best bet if you want to put a rack on it would be to build a cage and have a custom top made at a boat shop to fit over the cage.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

5. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

There was a top made for our blazers that made them into a pickup, don't remember the name of it there was one for sale about 6 months ago or so, they were fiberglass.

Like em big and topless
    You call THAT...a 4x4....LMAO?

6. BUCK70

BUCK70 Registered Member

Just so happens that I know where a Fastrac by Kayline is----NEW in the box. EmAIL ME AT RSSSBUCK@AOL.COM FOR INFO

7. Tims72

Tims72 Registered Member

After reading many of the treads on this forum I decided to get the fasttrac top with tinted windows from specialty top co. They are the company who took over for keyline. I will be getting it in about a 1 1/2 weeks. So I will let you know how the install goes and hopefully have pics of the whole thing.

Tim

8. aksidentproan

Sorry dude, I cant afford one right now. I just spent 800 bucks on racing gear(ie: fire suit, helmet, shoes, gloves etc.) so i definatley cant afford to shell out another 500-600 more. I wish i could. It was almost 70° here in Maryland.

Evan

1970 Blazer, <font color=orange>ORANGE</font color=orange>, 3-speed manual, 33's <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/aksidentproan>Love Shack Pictures</a>