Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats the best thing to clean your soft top with.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazin72, Aug 11, 2001.

1. blazin72

blazin72 1/2 ton status

I bought a Kayline off of SMP and was wondering what you guys and gals found to be the best to clean them with.
    I wasnt for sure if good old armor all is what should be used.
    Thanks

Blazin 72

2. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Armor ALL does not improve your top or interior! All it does is make it look good for a few days, but it actually dries the material out and ends up hurting it in the long run. Fabric needs moisture to stay soft and not crack. There's a lot better items to use and most of the time it's just easier to use a gentle dish soap. That's what I would use, and am going to use when I get mine.

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

<font color=red>My Wife:</font color=red>"Only two minor cosmetic problems: The inside and the outside!"

<hr></blockquote>
    1972 K5 502CB,465,203/205Doubler,14FF/D60

3. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Well I dont have a soft top, but I would recommend some stuff called "303 Aerospace Protectant". This stuff kicks ass! "100% prevention of UV caused slow-fade with regular use" You can get it though Summit and other places, thats just where I got mine. My hard top was faded when I got it, bad, and I was looking through catalogs to see if there was anything I could use other than Armorall (quick-fix) to bring it back. I saw this and thought I'd try it, man what a difference! And it doesnt go away or soak in after a couple of days. I use it once a month or every other. The description is Summit says:
    "Give your rubber, vinyl, fiberglass, plastic, and leather accessories a long lasting finish with 303 Protectant. Originally developed for aviation and aerospace, 303 Protectant is manufacturer recommended and leaves a finish which repels dirt, dust, insects, UV rays, and staining. It contains no harmful silicone oils, petroleum distillates, alcohol or waxes.
    I'm assuming the top is vinyl, since you were going to use armor-all on it. This stuff works bitchin on weatherstripping too, if its faded and nasty, brings it right back to life. Its $11 for a 16oz. bottle. Hope this helps.

4. blazin72

blazin72 1/2 ton status

Thanks
    I dont like using armor-all on any of my stuff but I thought I would ask..
    After this post I went to kaylines websight and found out that the 303 stuff is what you should use.
    Now I would like to find it around town if possible.
    I wonder if trusty old Wal=Mart has anything like that.
    Thanks for all the help

Blazin 72

5. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Actually if you go to their site <a target="_blank" href=http://www.303products.com/home.htm>http://www.303products.com/home.htm</a>
    if I remember right they have a list of places that sell it according to where you are located. I noticed that they also have a kit just for tops. You might want to check it out.

6. FWP

FWP CRS

Soft bristle brush and dishsoap works for me.

<a target="_blank" href=http://fwp4x4.rockcrawler.com>fwp4x4.rockcrawler.com</a>

7. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I used some stuff once that was for cleaning soft topsit did but it also foged the windows! SO what ever go slow!

8. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I power wash the hell out of mine (white) a couple times a year and call it good.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd