Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WHAT'S THE BEST WAY TO GET RID OF SLUDGE AND MAKE LIFTERS PUMP UP??????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Brians 60s, Nov 14, 2000.

1. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

WHAT\'S THE BEST WAY TO GET RID OF SLUDGE AND MAKE LIFTERS PUMP UP??????

I have an old crapillac. I mean cadillac motor that I put in
    my wood roach. It has multiple pounds of sludge in the lifter valley and heads. Whats the best way to get rid of it
    without taking the motor apart? Also from sitting the lifters will not pump up. Any Ideas?

"IF YOU'VE NEVER BEEN STUCK.....YOU'VE NEVER BEEN WHEELIN"!!!

2. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

Re: WHAT\'S THE BEST WAY TO GET RID OF SLUDGE AND MAKE LIFTERS PUMP UP??????

try a motor flush, then some marvel mystery oil. The old timers will tell you its good stuff. If you have a lot of build up , your best bet just maybe cleaning it all out before the install.

3. Brians 60s

Funny you should mention that I tried both last night. I drained the oil after the 5 minute motor flush and It was
    discolored but no chunks came out of the drain plug. I put
    in one quart of marvel and ran it for 30 minutes and it helped but there are at least 2 lifters that won't pump up.

4. Md mudder

Md mudder 1/2 ton status

if you just want the lifters to pump up drain a couple quarts of oil out and fill it back up with atf and run it a couple of days and if they are every going to work again they will.as far as the sludge leave it, but if you insist pull the valve covers plug the oil drain back holes and go to town with the pressure washer.lifter valey your out of luck without pulling the intake, if you try to do it without pulling the intake you will probably cause more harm that god by plugging the oil pump screen.

<font color=green>Ryan</font color=green>
    <font color=red> 84 pickup 454/700r4/208 <font color=red>

5. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

In the past I have used a relatively inexpensive method which involves draining 2 quarts of oil, then get the remaing 3 quarts warmed up to normal operating temperature. Then shut the motor off and add 2 quarts of fuel oil / diesel fuel. Then operate the vehicle (CITY DRIVING ONLY) for about 30 minutes to let the fuel oil work the gunk loose and free up the lifter(s). A word of caution, one time when I did this there must have also been a lot of crud in the bottom of the oil pan which maxed out the oil filter in about 10 minutes causing it to bypass. So if you have a good idea that there is a lot of crud in your oil pan you may want to consider running the motor for 10-15 minutes then changing only the filter and add a little more oil/fuel oil, then give it the 30 minute run. Also, when you change the oil remember that the fuel oil / diesel fuel is flammable and can ignite when it comes into contact with a hot exhaust or other hot objects. This has worked for me.....good luck.

6. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem with the V6 in my car. I tried everything to get it cleaned out but it was so bad I had to pull it apart. There was so much caked oil in the valve covers that they were dry. I have no idea why the engine didn't blow because there was NO oil circulation in the top half of it. It looked like it had been that way for a long time. It took a week to clean it with a pressure washer and soaking everything in degreaser every night. It runs like a champ now though, too bad the rest of the car doesn't! I can't wait until I get my new gears and lockers, you guys are going to get to see a video of a K5 driving over a Pontiac 6000 [​IMG] That should be FUN!!!

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org

7. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

I second the idea that you try ATF. ATF seems to cut sludge fairly well, but you should also change the filter during the course of running ATF at least once, because it wont take long to plug the filter with that much crud in there. Dump a couple quarts of ATF in and run it for 15 to 20 minutes then change the filter, then do it again and see if that helps. I've also heard of people using kerosene to flush out a motor, but I would try ATF first, then if that does't work then try kerosene or fuel oil.

Jeff427
    <font color=red>Mud Dog Off Road Club</font color=red>
    http://muddogoffroad.coloradok5.com

8. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

I ran MotorFlush in my engine two weeks ago and the oil is still clean as can be.

Sorry to say it, but it sounds like you need some work on the old motor. Keep trying though.

<font color=red>Spirit of 76</font color=red>

9. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

We ran into the problem on the Dodge V-6s when I was stationed in Panama. Tried all of the shortcuts but ended up tearing them down to clean them out. Turned out that the trucks weren't racking up the milage to trigger the oil changes but the engines were running pretty constant. Ended up putting hour meters on them to get the oil changed on time. Eliminated the problem.

Smitty

10. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Id recommend doing the following (Dont try this with OHC engines, they dont seem to like it much)

Get the following:
    5 Quarts of ATF Fluid
    10 quarts of Motor Oil
    3 Filters (Get the cheapeast you can, micron sized filtration doesnt matter at this point)

Add 1 quart of ATF to your Motor. Run for 1 day. (No Highway)
    Drain your oil and change filter. You should get some sludge (drain HOT if you can)
    Add 1 quart of ATF and new oil to fill. Run for 2 days. Change your oil again, as well as filter. You should get some more sludge
    Add 3 quarts of ATF and new oil (should be like 2 quarts of oil). Run for 1 day (again no highway). If your engine is as bad as you make it sound, you should get some real nasty !@#! comming out of the drain hole.

Flush your engine afterwards with 4 quarts of new engine oil and filter. Run for about 1 week. You should get some remainder crap that was still lodged in your engine. Then just fill up with regular oil and a new filter and you should be all set.

Word of caution: I have seen good things, and bad things with doing this procedure. I've seen dead 350's come back to life, but I've also seen Somewhat crappy 350's die a week after doing this. It seems that the gunk was holding the engine together, and preventing blow-by.

Mobil "drive clean" oil (99 cents at k-mart) has one of the highest detergent levels in commercial oil. You may also want to try a full switch to Mobil 1. It may cause your seals to leak and stuff, but it may work its way through the stuck lifters and free them.

11. Brians 60s

Thanks everyone for the help. I appreciate it.