Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's the Best Way to Make Gaskets Leakproof?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chiefKP, Dec 14, 2000.

1. chiefKP

chiefKP Registered Member

What\'s the Best Way to Make Gaskets Leakproof?

Is it best to use a sealer? If so, how?

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Re: What\'s the Best Way to Make Gaskets Leakproof?

Depends on the gasket, its different for paper, cork, rubber, etc.

ken

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i would say if you are woried about it leaking use a sealer

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

What gasket is leaking? There's a big difference between a head gasket and a valve cover gasket. [​IMG]

For diff covers, I don't even use a gasket. Just put a bead of silicone on the cover, install it and it never leaks a drop.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

5. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Okay here's an IDEA. I've never done it, but I've had the idea in my head for some time now and I'm actually going to try it when I get my engine into my rig.
    Make your own out of rubber. I'm serious, hear me out.[​IMG] Get an old tire inner tube and cut it up so you get the maximum surface area out of it and lay it flat on a table or something. Let's say you're making one for a thermostat housing. Place the housing on top of the rubber and go around it with an Exacto knife. Then make the holes with a set of gasket making punches.
    This is all just an IDEA. Here's the theory. When using sealant, most people just tighten the bolts too much before the sealant starts to cure and end up just squeezing the sealant out, and the problem with paper and cork is that they fall apart over time. The rubber would expand when tighten, thus creating an even seal. Newer thermostat housings come with a rubber O-ring, and it's the same principle at work. Have I convinced anyone to try it?

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

6. ryanNC

ryanNC 1/2 ton status

When I put in a Currie short-shaft-kit in a nvg231 transfer case in a newer J**p, Currie recommended Permatex Black RTV. Thats some really good sh@t!! Saw the guy three months later and not a drop!

"need more <font color=green>cash</font color=green>"
    http://<font color=red>http://ryans1site.coloradok5.com</font color=red>

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Make sure the surfaces it is going on are oil free so it seals is the trick. if it has oil residue, your installing it with a leak already. Clean the surfaces with brake cleaner. If it's where your worried about it (cleaner) getting in something likethe engine, spray it on a paper towel and keep wiping till it's oil free. Some RTV at tight bends or really bumpy surfaces like un machined areas like where the valve covers sit. Also don't overtighten. Thats a big cause of failed gaskets. The torq on a valve covers is rated in inch pounds not ft pounds. Snug is what is needed not tight in a criss cross pattern. Same with the pan or any stamped steel cover.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Uhhhhh let me point something out about using rubber. OIL and rubber (well the rubber your talking about) don't get along. It will cause the rubber to bunch up like crinkle paint over time. If thatw ere going to work I'm sure you would be able to walk into the zone and buy it already. Rubber is cheaper than cork.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

9. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Absolutely, Grimmy, rubber has an oil base or somrthing so oil will degrade it overtime....thats why you don't use oil to mount tires....you use a soap based lube....something to do with the base molecules.

"I'm not stuck...I just dropped my beer in my lap"

10. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

I know what TallDog is thinking but the actual physics of it is what screws up...the rubber gets unstable and the flaws get magnified when it gets compressed to where it just does'nt work. The surface tension is a big factor, too.

"I'm not stuck...I just dropped my beer in my lap"

11. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

D'oh! LOL Just a thought. The reason I was thinking about this was because of my buddy. He recenlty replaced a stock thermostat housing with an O-ring type. I wasn't around to supervise, and sure enough he screwed the thing up. He used silicone plus the O-ring and ended up with a nice leak. He didn't relaize that the o-ring doesn't require silicone. I figured, there has to be a fool-proof way. Call me stubborn, but I think it might work under a thermostat housing (yes, I'm stubborn[​IMG]). I'll tell ya what, I'll try on my rig and I'll let ya'll know how it goes. It won't be for a while, and I know you're all against it, but what if I'm on to something?[​IMG] Told you I'm stubborn.

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!