Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's the best year of Blazers to get?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by anatomiczero, Jun 20, 2002.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

What\'s the best year of Blazers to get?

It's been a while since posting here, I was going to buy my parents 80 Jimmy for 3 grand plus 1 grand for the rebuilt tranny, but then my brother got a new car so I bought his old one (90 geo storm) for $140. It's not going to last too long (engine knocks a lot, oil light always on)

I'm debating on whether to get a Honda or something that gets good gas mileage or a Blazer. If I get an 87+ with the 350 tbi and 700 r4 would I get good gas mileage? like 15 or so? What other benifits are there to tbi, better in the cold? thanks.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: What\'s the best year of Blazers to get?

Honda's and Geo's are 'wheel chocks' around here...

A TBI K5 would get decent mileage, prolly 13-15 depending on how well it's tuned and how you drive. Much better choice than any rice out there....IMHO

Rene

3. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

K5's do not get good MPG when compared to rice mobiles. Big tires eat gas, so if you think that you will want big tires don't expect to get good MPG. Deisel K5's get a little better MPG, but still don't compare with ricers.

If wheeling is your plan and you can't afford lot's of gas you have a few options.

1. Get a cheap daily driver, and an older K5 to wheel.

2. Get a K5 and ride the bus to work to save money on gas.

3. Get a Samurai and plan on going real slow up hills(on road). I know it may be blasphemous to suggest someone here get a Samurai, but they do make amazing little trail rigs if set up right. At least it's not a Heep.

As far as the best year of K5 to get, I would say anything '75 or older because they have fully removable tops. If you got real <font color="green">LUCKY </font color>you might get one already converted to fuel injection.

Keep in mind that you will find fixing a K5 cheaper, and easier than fixing a ricer.

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

1972 /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Man that is a loaded question that is bound to start some <font color="red"> HEATED </font color> debates!!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

BUY THE '80!!!!! Its got almost all the right pieces. Big motor, TH350 tranny, NP205 T-Case, no A.I.R., no computerized carb, no ESC (Electronic Spark Control).

7. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

First Gen's rock. But I must say that I have a Civic HX as my daily driver. It gets 44mpg on the highway, much better than my K-5 that gets around 8! During the summer, I drive the K-5 as much as possible. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

8. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

get an 88...they are the best /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Later

9. Chevy Duty

Chevy Duty Registered Member

'79! LOL what am I gonna say??

or a '90...

10. anatomiczero

Thanks for the replies, apparently my dad wants to get a newer car and get rid of the 80 jimmy.

Things wrong with the Jimmy
    ---------------------------
    rust- lower front fenders
    interior- carpet/misc. stuff like fan speed switch
    rear end- you can feel a little play turning the yoke(i think)
    vibrates a little around 40 or WOT getting to 40
    holes in the body (from taking off molding)
    couple of cracks in body
    pulls hard to the left while braking hard, will get it checked

The tranny was rebuilt a few months ago, the x-fer case is good, tires are a bit worn

So, maybe I should get that then maybe keep the storm (not much room for parking)

I live 30 mi south of Seattle, so we get a little snow, plus the Jimmy would go a LOT more places than a civic...
    Well, i'll post pics of it in a few hours.

11. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I've got a Samuri and compared to the Burb, it makes gas. I don't kid myself about being a wheeling machine in its current stock configuration, but it gets me to work cheaply and it does wheel some. I'm glad to have both. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

12. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Sounds 'bout perfect. Offer them $1500

13. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

Ok, as a previous Toyota 4runner owner I think I can clear this up. BUY A BLAZER! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif If you want to build a capable off-roader a Blazer is about the best starting point you can get (power, cheap parts, simplicity, and er... power). If you just want a nice truck for transportation and the occasional camping trip, you still can't go wrong with a Blazer. No they don't get the best gas mileage but I'd be willing to bet that what you spend in gas you will make up for in parts savings. i.e.: Toyota pitman arm = $80, Chevy pitman arm = $22, Toyota fuel injectors = $169 each, Chevy TBI = Priceless! My 89 Blazer (in stock form) only gets 12mpg in town and around 18 on road trips (I have a heavy foot). Although, I'll take the Chevy small block power over Toyota efficiency anyday. I had to wind up my little 4 banger sooo high to just to get the thing moving that it didn't get much better mileage anyway (around 16 in town, and 18-20 freeway). Now I easily pass all the Toyotas, Hondas, Jeeps, and other gutless wonders while comfortably stretching out with the AC cranking away and my 350 doesn't mind a bit.

On that 80. Those are good trucks to start with but the rust would be my major concern. Remember, you can change out virtually anything in a Blazer but the one thing you are stuck with is the body. Front fenders are no big deal, but rear fenders, floorboard, firewalls, etc. will cost major $$$ to replace (if done right). For a truck with any major rust, I wouldn't spend more than $2500 or so. Just my 2 cents.

14. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

If the rust is on the lower fender then just cut them all for extra space for the tires /forums/images/icons/cool.gif . That way you could run 35's and a 4" lift, and have a much tougher looking truck while your at it.
    The tbi can't be beat when compared to a carbed rig, they don't mind the bounces, off angles, and have much better throttle response, and better gas mileage. My 87 got 15 city and 17 highway before the tires, locker, lift, gears, etc. Now about 10 anywhere. But if you want a true off road beater, get a first gen for cheap, and then get a mid 90's rice racer for a couple grand.

15. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

If your on a budget, don't get a first gen.(even though they are the best K5's /forums/images/icons/smile.gif ) Parts are so much cheaper for the 73 and up blazers. I cant afford my first gen /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Evan

16. anatomiczero

Here she is

http://home.attbi.com/~anatomiczero/jimmy/front.JPG
    http://home.attbi.com/~anatomiczero/jimmy/passenger.JPG
    http://home.attbi.com/~anatomiczero/jimmy/rear.JPG
    http://home.attbi.com/~anatomiczero/jimmy/drivers_side.JPG

Engine- 7 yr old 350 Goodwrench crate, purrs like a kitten at idle, growls at WOT
    Exhaust- dual glasspacks (2.5" pipe i think)
    Transmission- replaced with a rebuilt a few months ago
    Rear leaf springs replaced about 5 months ago

I thought about trimming the fenders, then the holes in the body need to be welded or sumthin. The brake calipers need to be checked, maybe rebuilt (now much should that cost to have done?) it needs carpet, windshield seal, door seals

17. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Drivetrain wise I'm partial to the 71-72, and 80. THose years all had 205 cases. Disc brakes and 12 rear. 80 is probably most durable drivtrain that was available. Had a lock up converter for a bit better economy and it had the strong K series tranny with the beefed up bell housing. The 71-72 had a size smaller u-joint in the front axle. You can swap the 74-77 297 joint size shafts in with no problem.
    Most echonomical would be the 87-91. The 700's were sorted out by then. The FI really makes them run good and get the best millage. The down side is the 10bolt rear axle but no big deal if you plan a swap to 1 ton gear. Finding a 12 bolt is easy also.
    My favorite years are 71-75 because they are full convertibles. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

18. anatomiczero

Oh, and i'd probably get it for $2,500 (what i would get for grad)

Grim- thanks for the info, I probably won't be taking the top off, so not bein a full convert. isn't a big deal for me. The tranny in the jimmy above has a standard TH350 now, he couldn't find a K case or rebuild the one in there.

19. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

From the pics, it looks pretty nice. I don't see any "rust through". If it only has surface rust, most of that can be sanded down to bare metal and repaired fairly inexpensively. But, if it does have any "rust through" (holes you can see through) chances are it has more elsewhere (or everywhere). Drivetrain wise, I'd stick with what is in it. The only "weak link" IMO would be the 10bolt front end but, they seem to be ok with up to 33" tires. If you want to go bigger or do any serious romping that would probably be the first thing to go. Also, it looks like it already has a bit of a lift (maybe 2" or so?) although the back is sitting higher than the front which is ususally just tired old springs (or it's just parked on an angle). /forums/images/icons/smile.gif When shopping for my bro, we looked at a lot of trucks that were in much worse shape and most of the $2500 trucks were complete rust buckets. Looks like a deal if you really can get it for $2500 (even if it needs some work)!

20. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

Oh, and just use the Geo as an RTI ramp.