Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats the best year?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ONE2PLAY, Feb 1, 2001.

1. ONE2PLAY

ONE2PLAY Registered Member

Whats the best year for a project? I wreck my 89 earlier this month. It was my every day ride. I been putting off buying a new truck, but know I have no choice. Getting back to my question. I need a toy. What does every one think. I was thinking of finding a 73, for that is the year I was born. What ever I get, I plan on a 6 inch lift and topless.

2. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

If I was looking for a project blazer I would pick a 69-72. Depends on what you want to spend. I've seen late 70's early 80's blazers in decent shape at good prices.

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

The 69-72 Blazers are sweet but for a nice one you arel probably going to dig deep in the pockets. I live in Pa and just saw a 91 with 200k for $2200 in nice shape. Alot of miles but not a rust bucket. It all just depends on what you like.

4. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

it all depends on personal preference. i dont personally dont like the full removable tops. i love the round headlight look of my 78. if you plan to put 3/4 ton hardware then 81+ sounds good, but if you want good 1/2 ton components then pre-80 is what you are looking for. like i said it all depends on what you want and like. but, regardless of how you look at it, K5s ARE ALL GOOD!!!!

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

5. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

hey, a bakersfield boy! i bet we know some of the same people. i called that place home for probably fifteen years. interesting place. great location for a crappy town, though. beach is 45 minutes away, or run up the canyon to Kernville for a little weekend party.
    you ride motorcycles? i used to ride there and up breckenridge.
    funny how the memories of bakersfield are me trying to get away!

anyway, for an all-out assault rig, i'd factor in the fact that vehicles that are 25 years old are smog-exempt in california. so your '73 would fit that bill. is it gonna be for family, too? or just a trail ride? if'n i had the know-how and the means to do a project vehicle, i'd grab a full convert, and use all the interior i could out of a fully loaded '91. the grill, too. power mirrors, windows, door locks, seats, everything! and whatever goodies make it tough, of course.
    but that stuff eludes me. i bought my '89 for thew fuel injection, and my daughter was born then. so it's a keeper. i doubt i'll ever do anything more than a lift, tires and a winch. but i hear 10bolt's are weak....

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

6. ONE2PLAY

$2200!! You cant find anything under $4500 here.

7. ONE2PLAY

I'm buying a new truck for my personal use. I'm fixing up a K5 for weekend fun. Motorcycles, quads, you name it my friends and I do it all.

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

It depends on what you're looking for:

Best Looking, best interior: 89-91 (+EFI, big plus)

Best stock running gear: 70's models with 12-bolt/NP205

Coolness/uniqueness: Full convertible first gen

<font color=blue>"Anytime you tie the Flyers, you are going to have a tight ball game." Buffalo captain Michael Peca</font color=blue>

9. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Around 77 or 78 they changed some parts to what the later models use. The tailgate for example can be used from those years all the way up to '91. I think you have a lot more years to chose from for parts. The late models do look pretty cool but they're not as tough. They have 10 bolt rears and used thinner sheet metal in the body. Every year has its high points. I love my '82 because its more modern than the 73-80 but still has the heavy sheet metal. On the other hand it has a 10 bolt (looking for a 12) and the early model 700R4 so it may not be as tough. I'd just get one with the heavier body and take the good stuff from lots of years. Remember that its what you build, not what you buy.

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]