Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's the biggest spare you've fit in your 'burb?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by heavy4x4, Mar 1, 2003.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

What\'s the biggest spare you\'ve fit in your \'burb?

Well, thought the forum could use a new post, so here goes:

I'll be putting in 3/4 ton axles this summer if all goes as planned, and thus I'll need new wheels. I'll also need a new wheel for my spare - and I figured while I'm at it, why not get a spare that's closer to the tire size I'm running (I always figured if I got a flat, I'd just put the spare on the front and stay in 2wd). So, what size tire do you have in the spare-wheel well? I took some rough measurements today and it looks like I won't be able to go higher than 30" and wider than 10-10.5" /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I know some of you will just say - awww, just toss a 33 incher on the floor of the back and be done with it. Well, I'd rather not do that - having it slide around and all, and even more bothersome to have to move it whenever I'm loading something.

2. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Re: What\'s the biggest spare you\'ve fit in your \'burb?

I've got a 285/75/16(33") stuffed in there right now and it only pushes the seat forward a little. I bet you could go a little bigger. This tire is the same hieghth as a 305/ but not as wide and makes a good spare if you run those.

3. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

you could put it on your roof, or get a rear spare carrier. the biggest problem with the roof ( as I learned) is getting the damn thing hiked 8 or 9 feet into the air without killing myself. probably would be a good idea to get a rack of some sort to keep it from caving the roof, or breaking the support crossmembers.

-Rich

4. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

My plan is building a custom rear bumber with a spare carrier which will hold up to a 40. ANyway, My buddy with a 89 conversion sub squeezes a 36x12.50x16.5 hummer tire in his spot. Okay, it doesn't actually fit, but it doesn't move either. Since his 3rd seat is not as wide as a standard 3rd seat he makes it work. Also, with the space still under his tirs, he puts oil, tranny fluid, anti-freeze, etc. Works really well for him.
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I'll have to fall in the throw a big tire in the bed and tie it down category. I have a spare that measures 38.5x11x16. I really don't want to be rolling down the road with a tire that's 5" shorter than the rest.

6. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I have a 35x12.50r15 as a spare in mine, kinda. I used to straps to hold it in there, because it is a little too wide. I just attached the straps to the two bolt holes that are there. I dont have a third seat though.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i dont have my 3rd seat in so i just set the 35x14.50 spare on the floor on the back.

8. Erich_in_AZ

Erich_in_AZ 1/2 ton status

I have a 33x12.50 15 back there. It's tight, but it fits. I just use a strap to tie it down (Please keep your spare tied down somehow). It's a bit of a pain to get out, but it fits. I usually use the tire iron to pry it out from the bottom when needed. I too hae no 3rd seat