Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's the deal? (15x8 8 lug)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by heavy4x4, Jul 16, 2003.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

What\'s the deal? (15x8 8 lug)

I know, I know, there are a bunch of posts about this, but I was just told by 4WPW that they don't have those in the Rock Crawlers.

Here's the deal. I called this morning to order 5, 15x8 8 lug black Rock Crawlers. The guy I was talking to said the Rock Crawlers don't come in 8 lug in the 15 inch variety...only in 16 inch. He said there are some black "Monster mods" that have holes instead of spokes, but those 15x8 8 lugs are only available in 2 3/4 and 4 1/4 inch backspacing (neither of which I want - I'm looking for 3.5).

So, where can I find this rim? Does it not exist? I could swear I've seen them before on trucks here. Where did you get them? Help me out here. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Thanks.

2. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Re: What\'s the deal? (15x8 8 lug)

I ordered some 15x8 8 lugs with 3.5" BS from Rockstomper. They are fairly cheap at about $55/ea.

I like them a lot /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm running 37 x 12.5 SSRs

You can see that they took quite a bit of weight to balance
    [​IMG]

But they don't look too bad /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    [​IMG]

3. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I was in the same boat, and I got a set of white spokes from Dan Bergin at Ultimate 4 Wheel Drive Performance. I sanded them with some very fine sandpaper (600 grit?) and my hubby painted them black /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    [​IMG]

Prepare to spend a good amount of time grinding calipers to fit 15" wheels /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks! I might just order from them. Do you think it was the wheels being that much out of balance, or the bigger tires? I'm only running 33's. And, did those come painted black already or did you have to paint them yourself?

So, has anyone ordered some BLACK 15x8 8 lugs (or 15x10s even) with 3.5" backspacing from Summit, 4wpw, national tire, etc? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. Orange Crush

Orange Crush 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I got a set of 15x10 black wheels from National tire and wheel they are eatons. 3.5 inches backspacing.I also got a set of 15x14 eaton beadlocks from them also same backspacing /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. DUKSRULE

DUKSRULE 1/2 ton status

OK I have seen a lot about this and have to ask. Why would you spend the time and effort getting 15" wheels to fit rather than just getting 16" wheels? Tire selection is about the same. Is the extra 1/2" of sidewall that important to some people?

7. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks! I might just order from them. Do you think it was the wheels being that much out of balance, or the bigger tires? I'm only running 33's. And, did those come painted black already or did you have to paint them yourself?

So, has anyone ordered some BLACK 15x8 8 lugs (or 15x10s even) with 3.5" backspacing from Summit, 4wpw, national tire, etc? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as the balancing, I don't know that for sure because I've heard that any type of Swamper is hard to balance -- maybe it was a little of each? I've already tossed a couple of weights and haven't noticed any vibrations or wobbles, but my truck isn't a DD either. Sorry, I'm not more help in that area.

Those wheels come in bare steel, so, yes, you do have to paint them.

There was not much grinding to be done on my calipers with the 3.5" backspacing. At least not with the D44 I've got up front.

Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

In my case, I had bought 33x12.5/15 tires recently. Then along came the axles and a smokin' deal on the wheels. Nothing the angle grinder can't fix. I've also read that there is a "safety bead" on 15" rims and that 15" tires are available in more sizes, for better prices.

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    OK I have seen a lot about this and have to ask. Why would you spend the time and effort getting 15" wheels to fit rather than just getting 16" wheels? Tire selection is about the same. Is the extra 1/2" of sidewall that important to some people?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've already got the tires for 15 inch rims.

10. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

15's and 16's both have the "safety bead" you speak of. It's the 16.5's that don't. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

And, definitely have to agree with:
    [ QUOTE ]
    15" tires are available in more sizes, for better prices.

[/ QUOTE ]

11. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Here is another reason I went with the wheels that I did:
    Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

My truck is not crooked but my driveway is. Anyway, the backspacing and wheel width did wonders! Those are the same tires in both pics.

12. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Cool. I e-mailed Dan today and have yet to get a response. So, you got 15x8 8 lug WHITE wheels with 3.5" backspacing from his place? That sounds like what I'll do if Dan can get them. I'll just hit them with some rattle can black. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks Andrea, too bad you can't make it to the pipeline with Tony and me next weekend. Oh well, some other time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Hmm what happened to your ground clearance? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was unable to get my 15x10s in black from 4wpw last week either. I had to go for white spokes with 4 1/4 back spacing or nothing. I bought them and I'm going to paint them black.

14. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifI was thinking of doing that, but it sounds like too much backspacing to me (too much grinding and maybe clearance problems with tie-rod ends). I'm gonna look for 3.5's and if I can't get those, I'll go with 4 1/4's.

15. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

so with a 3.5" baskspace you dont have to grind as much?
    I'm getting ready to do the swap.

16. DaveCowley

DaveCowley 1/2 ton status

I liked the 2 and 3/4 backspace of the procomp Black Mods from 4wpw they make a skinny 12.5 tire stick out a little and are definately good for aesthetic value. You don't even have to grind if you use those. They seem to be a very well put together wheel. I would consider going that route if I were you. If you use the 3.5 backspace wheels you will be grinding for the better part of 1/2 a day. Not to mention I got them for a measly 33.00 per wheel.
    My .02

17. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Can't help ya with finding the wheels you want, but I do have 1/2 gallon of POR-15 left over from my floorboards. If ya want, I could bring ya some for your wheels. Let me know. Oh yeah, WHEELING IN ONE WEEK!!! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

18. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hmm what happened to your ground clearance? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ground clearance is for wussies /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    Actually I might end up shaving it eventually, if it's a problem. That 14 bolt really is low to the ground!

19. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Cool. I e-mailed Dan today and have yet to get a response. So, you got 15x8 8 lug WHITE wheels with 3.5" backspacing from his place? That sounds like what I'll do if Dan can get them. I'll just hit them with some rattle can black. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the backspacing on mine is 4.125 if I'm not mistaken. I do like how they turned out, but then I had those ridiculous fender flares with tires that were way tucked in. I was getting rid of a rust issue. Now the tires are just right. Well, I guess they could be a little bigger...

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks Andrea, too bad you can't make it to the pipeline with Tony and me next weekend. Oh well, some other time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't know how badly I'd like to go! My truck is having "issues" at the moment that caused me to have to take the <gasp> Cavalier out of town on trips. I will definitely be there Labor Day Weekend, and again sometime in the fall when the leaves are turning color. Have fun though! Take pics!

20. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Also, I think Dan's e-mail is messed up so you might want to resend that. I'm sorry. Some dumb Yahoo thing I think. The webmaster (me) has it going to his alternate e-mail now.

Wet sanding the wheels with 600 grit will make a big difference, so you can get the clearcoat off. That way your paint will stick much better /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif