Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what's the deal w/ my tranny? should i be concerned?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Apr 28, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

so i've got the 6.2/700r4/208 set up. the other night i was at a stop sign and stepped on the throttle like normal - not heavy or anything, just eased into it like usual. i was turning, so i was going real slow. anyway, the truck lurched forward w/ a huge bang and then drove normally. it felt like something really bound up briefly. then today i was shifting into reverse while parallel parking (i wasn't moving at all) and the gears ground really bad. it runs just fine tho. i checked the fluid and it looks kind of burnt, which is wierd since i just changed all the fluid out of it 3 weeks ago. i did go wheeling and there were a couple times when i put quite a load on the tranny - could it be that it burned and isn't operating right as a result? i've got a tranny cooler i need to put in - maybe i should put it in and change the fluid again? what do you think?

2. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Im going to have to bet t-case myself...

3. colbystephens

but why would the gears grind when shifting into reverse? and what of the burned tranny fluid?

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I say you probably broke the sun shell. Mine did the same thing a few years ago and it still drove fine for a couple days then i lost a couple gears, can't remember which ones but i think 1st and 3rd.

5. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

i drove my frends truck with a 208 and it did the same thing...i found out later i killed his sun gear.

but then isnt there something with the 700r4 that when you jump on the gas it likes to hesitate...uhhh i cant remember exactly...uh anyone?

6. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You sure your not in 4wheel drive with the hubs locked? Sounds a bit like drive line wind up to me. Just a thought.

7. colbystephens

yeah, i know it's not in 4wd. i don't like the sound of a broken sun gear. is this a relatively easy fix, or is this a drop the tranny, do an overhauld type thing?

8. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If it's a sun gear it's an overhaul. If you carry on driving it all the metal will be destroying a lot more in there too.

9. colbystephens

so maybe i should drop the pan and see how much shreds of metal i might have?

10. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Yes. Also drain the 208, through a paint strainer and fish with a magnet. 700R4 needs 'em, others benefit from an extra cooler and trans ATF temp gauge.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
  11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

also, make DEAD SURE that your TV cable is adjusted properly. that will kill a trans faster than anything else.

12. colbystephens

hmm. i didn't know that about the tv. i don't think it's set right - it doesn't seem to downshift at the right times. i'll take a look at that too.

13. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Oops, thought you already had that covered, beater K20 may have the answer. Yea TV adjustment has to be exact, always and extremely critical to the life of 700. Bowtie Overdrive has very detailed instructions.:D