Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's the deal with covering license plates in pictures on the web

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Eric M., Mar 21, 2005.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

What's the deal with covering license plates in pictures on the web? Is this sorta like the folks who use caller ID blocking ... just a little too paranoid for their own good?

Let'er rip.

Eric M.

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It's called redneck personalized licenses.....

b3.jpg

3. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

so someone can't call the cops and say"help ,my babies, a guy in a big black blazer with plate number 2DOGS just hit my car" when they did in the shopping mall.:laugh:

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

looks like your missing a bolt

on your 13 bolt:D

5. boggerless

as a matter of fact i destoy my old proof of insurance. some loser could say i backed into their car and left my info on a note. i work in the ghetto and see people pull stunts for law suits all the time. the funniest one was a lady waiting at a red light on 8 mile(use the side walk). she was next to a car in the far left lane, as soon as the light turned green she turned into the car next to her and acted like she was dying.WTF???? my friend AL and i ran over, and AL said lady you ain't even bleeding.she opened her eyes for a second. people suck sometimes.LOL

6. 2Dogs

Much LOL to surpip and bogger :D

In reality my plates are blocked due to my Wife's line of work:blush::p:

7. boggerless

gotts to be safe in this day and age.:laugh:

8. 2Dogs

Er, I should say it's blocked by the Police in an official capacity - so I could post here if I wanted :D

9. boggerless

its more fun this way. 007 like :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

10. 2Dogs

I guess I am the only lame-ass to do this, eh? :D:D:D:D

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I block out my plates when I think of it... All you need is a plate number and $20 to look up the vehicle's registered owner and registered address. I don't know if I want everyone and their brother being able to look up where I live, etc.
    If someone sees my truck on the web and happens to think they're nearby and feel like stealing it, they can figure out exactly where it usually is by the plate. Or, someone can figure out my mailing address when I may not want them to.

This interweb thing is a big place... Pics you post can end up visible outside the realm of CK5, ya know... Ya gotta know there's a dark side and people that really do look for these things...

12. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

The same reason I don't post my ham call sign online.

13. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Where do you go to do this? I asked a cop-buddy of mine to run a plate. He said "no can do anymore", apparently, that's a no - no these days that'll get even a cop in trouble ... they need "probably cause" or something like that (I've been watching too many cop shows!)

If a cop can't do it, how does a commom Joe get away with it for $20?

Eric M.

14. toy4fun

toy4fun 1/2 ton status

What about the people that see you truck/car as you drive around:confused:

15. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I was thinking the same thing. If I was a bad guy, I'd be cruising the neighboring cities looking for rides to steal, not the internet. I'd hate to have to travel across the country, pay room and board for a few weeks while tring to locate that "Cherry Ride", just to find out it's garaged with a mean Dobermin in the yard! Could get expensive unless you're hunting 70 Hemi Cuda convertibles or Lamborginis.

I don't think most of us have anything to worry about :(

Eric M.

16. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Nope, I do it too.

17. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I'm actually hoping my freelance works as baiting

I seem to remeber posting both my phone nu,ber and address a couple of times

No villians though

18. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

We dont have to have PC to run a tag.......we can RUN a tag to get PC.

19. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

People driving past my truck on the street is different, I'm not having conversations with those people, etc, and they are closer to a range of suspects if something does occur. If I set up a fuel cutoff switch and talk about it in the garage, or if I put a 502 under the hood, noone knows these things on the street, but they know them on the board. Suppose in the freaky instance someone two towns from me is surfing the net for Blank in New York, and google serves up a thread where I talked about these things, the dude sees my truck pix and all the stuff in it, gets himself worked up to steal it, then sees my plate number. It doesn't take him much effort to find my truck and physically walk up to it.
    Or, let's say I really piss someone off on the board, and they happen to visit NY for something. If there's a pic of my plate, then while they're here, they can look up my info, and come find me, and I'd have absolutely no reason to suspect it was someone in town from california or something. Same thing if I start chatting about my kids or something.

My point's really that my physical location doesn't need to be combined with information I may hand out in casual chattiness here.

I don't know about other states, but in NY, you can get the reg info pretty easy, and the fee was $20 when I almost used the service.
    I don't think any police in NY have a problem or need a reason to be looking them up. I've had a few LE friends look up some plates for me over the past few years.

I don't think it's paranoia, I figured it's just common sense. Certain information I just wouldn't plaster on a billboard, and no matter how private a forum feels, just about anything on the internet might as well be plastered on a nationwide billboard.

20. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

in IL here you cant do crap with a plate number, unless youre tied into DMV or law enforcement, or towing business, otherwise youre SOL

but if you have VIN code then you can do whatever, title search, history, etc, but they will black out all addresses

i see vin codes on ebay and such all the time, id be alot more worried about posting my vin code than my plates

good luck