Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's the deal with nots on eBay?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fubeca, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Everytime I do a search on eBay I get all sorts of crap that is "not" what I want.

What's the point - why do people do this? I know it gets their item in more searches but when I search for diesel I'm looking for a diesel - not a gasser labeled "not diesel" :rolleyes:

Anyway - I'm through I just needed to vent a little.

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Just like when you use the search feature on there, those specific words you type in take you to ANY title that has that word in it.

That means more views for the seller regardless if you are looking for his part or not. The more different words you put in the title, the more views you will get.

When I was selling stuff, say, for example, the D70HD Powr-Lok, I put down "NOT dana 44, 60, 80, 10, 12, 14 bolt" and this item still made it to the sections of each of these axles so I could generate more interest in the item.

Unfortunately, I feel I was raped on the Powr-Lok. I had made a mistake in the title with "D70HD" when I should have typed in "Dana" instead of just the D. I see used PL's now at the price I sold mine for rebuilt. My mistake and something I learned from it. :mad:

3. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I understand the mechanics of why - so they get more exposure. What I don't understand is why people do it with unrelated things? I am not likely to change my mind and buy whatever the crap their selling just because they say it's "not" what I'm looking for.

I'm actually less likely to look at any of that crap because I'm pissed that I have to weed through a list of crap that is "not" what I'm looking for.

For instance you put all that extra crap in your title for your locker. Do you think someone looking for a locker for a dana 44 was like - Oh look theres a locker for a dana 70 instead - I think I'll buy it!

No - if he wanted a locker for a D70 he'd have been searching for that. It is just a waste of time for the seller and the buyer. :mad:

4. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

With you on this one bro. I will not by something that I am not looking for in the first place.

Also, I have been looking for some Craftsman tools, mostly impact sockets, but when I look on ebay many things listed as Craftsman only include a single socket of an arbutrary size. This is done primarily to make the seller think that he is not ripping someone off. Or it is there only to dray people to his listing. F-ing B.S.. Thngs like this are making me avoid ebay instead of using it anymore. People will eventually stop using the service as much as the used to, IMHO.

5. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

i haven't tried it, but have you tried taking "not" out of the search? i think you type -not in the the search box or something.

6. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Not a bad idea but then I lose all the stuff I want to see if the seller put "not whatever" in his add.