Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's the deal with Swamper LTBs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhoenixZorn, Apr 25, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

I've seen these tires everywhere, they only go up to 34 inches, and they are dirt cheap... comparable to a road tire for my Stanza... What's the deal with these? are they total crap? are they bias or radial? Gimme the info on these things please.

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Here's a link straight to interco's site on the LTB's:
    http://www.intercotire.com/html/ltb.htm

"What is the Super Swamper LTB...

The Super Swamper LTBs are in the same basic Three Stage Lug design as the famous Super Swamper TSL’s but a little more aggressive. The large lug is offset more to the outside which gives the tire superb traction. It is in bias ply construction which allows for the more aggressive lugs and very strong sidewalls to better resist the rigors of hard off-roading. The bias construction reduces the chances of sidewall splitting when run off road at low air pressure."

:thumb:

3. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

They're bias and they have fairly deep tread I believe, I was once thinking about tires in that size range and planned on getting them. I read in perterson's I believe that they are supposed to make a 46" LTB I believe.

4. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I have a set on my 3/4 ton, I've never had anything but radials, but once they warm up, they're fine. They are pretty loud, You can hear them coming from 1/2 mile easy :D

I haven't put a lot of miles on mine, but they work great. Never have a traction problem with them. They are coming out with a new 47" ltb, called the "Bigger LTB"

5. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

They are coming out with a 47" ltb. I think you will need a little lift and fender cutting for that stanza :haha:

6. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Haha... That would be a sight.... I'd have to put some Dana44s on it and put in a SR20DET with a Frontier tranny and transfer case. =)

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

LTB = Light Truck Bias

8. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

no, Longer Third Biter. its a TSL with the third lug moved out farther.

ive got these, i use mine for mud boggin. they are pretty tuff tires, wear about average for a bias.mine wore down about 2-3/32nds in 1000mi.

. took about 10lbs of weight to balance, still werent balanced.drove around with them for about 1 month when i got rid of my old street tires, then finally got a new set of A/T's, forgot how smooth my truck could be. MPG went back up by 2-3, power came back, braked better again.

they are great for a second set of offroad tires for a DD, or for your trail rig.
    if this is a DD, get a radial. my $.02

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I believe that they are using a different rubber and having them made in India to cut down on costs and keep them as an aggressive entery level Swamper. I think they were kinda developed for the Australian market and marketed here to make some more $$$. The Australians use alot of the aggresive tires that are thin.

Harley

10. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I can fly......

:D

11. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

:QUOTE=dirtwarrior17]I can fly......

:D[/QUOTE]
    :haha: :haha: :haha: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

12. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

Mine are 33-13.5, not exactly thin.......We say a heep up at tellico this weekend with the 34-10.5 and they said they work great. He went every where we did :o