Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats the deal with the NV4500?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by newboy89, Jun 20, 2002.

1. newboy89

newboy89 Registered Member

I hear alot about them but dont know much about them.
    1] what the heck is it?
    2] any perticular year to look out for?
    3] what should i expecto to pay for one?
    4] what does the swap involve?
    anyhting else you might want to ad. i'm sure i'll have more questions after these get answered. thanks alot guys.
    -charlie

2. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The NV4500 is a heavy duty 5 speed tranny found in one ton Chev and dodge truck from 92 and newer. First gear is a granny low gear which is great for crawlin, 5th gear is overdrive so you can run very low gears in the axles.

92-94 the NV4500 had a 6.34:1 first gear that was non synchro'd. 95 and up got a 5.61:1 first gear but I think they synchro's them.

Things to watch out for...make sure you get a Chevy application for the correct spline count on the output shaft. Dodge was 23 spline or something and the Chev version is 32 spline which corresponds to a few Chev T-cases.

Expect to spend a fair buck for one of these...anywhere up to $2000 depending on where you buy one and if it's brand new or a used one from a boneyard.

Issues you will need to overcome...the NV4500 Bell housing has the slave cylinder for the clutch on the passenger side. It will cause interference with the front driveshaft so you'll either have to modify a SM 465 Bell or buy one from Advance adaptors. Crossmembers and driveshafts will need to be moved/shortened/lengthened.
    A NP241 will bolt right up with a 32 spline input gear installed. I'm unsure on the 208,s and the 205, but both could be had with 32 spline inputs so it may be just the correct adaptor that's needed...again Advance adaptors would be able to supply those.

Rene

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I know for a fact that a 208 will go to it but I'm not sure on the 32 spline 205...it's a possibility.

5. tRustyK5

Yeah, Sparky87K5 has a 208 behind his NV4500...

Rene

6. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

my '95 1/2 ton, 1500 series has one,with an NP-241 transfer case, I don't know if it had to be special ordered or how it got there, but it's there and it's in the rpo sticker, so it's factory

7. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

No special. That is a common setup for that year model.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's how I knew. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Im heading down the 241 direct bolt up path myself, thanks to Rene...AGAIN!!!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

10. Charly

Charly Registered Member

Actually, there is some misinformation that is circulating on some sites regarding the early GM NV4500.

The 6.34:1 first is synchro'ed, it's the reverse which is not. I just rebuilt my 93, and have the GM tech manual....all those were synchro'ed first.

11. tRustyK5

Thanks for the FYI Charly...

Rene

12. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Rene! Whats that in your sig line? Is that your new IP address for your website or something? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

13. tRustyK5

I did that when the sig lines were limited to 100 characters...haven't got around to coming up with something better yet./forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Rene

14. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Someone mentioned a couple days ago that the ~85+ SM 465 hydro clutch bellhousings had dual patterns and would accomodate a 4500. Pretty sure the slave on mine is on the driver's side, but its a #2 SAE bellhousing anyway (won't fit chevy).

Also, IIRC, only '92 & '93 had the deeper 1st gear. For a wheeler, go w/the early one if you can, for a street/towing rig, go w/the later one (gears are cloeser together).

Might try searching, this is one of those recurring topics.

Pete

15. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm not sure if you are talking about the bellhousing to tranny bolt pattern on the '85-ups, but I just looked at the one in my garage, and there ARE 6 tranny to bellhousing bolt holes. (can't tell if they are tapped, full of crud)

The two "extra" holes are on the drivers side, one up and to the right of the top drivers side 465 bolt, and the second "extra" hole is down and to the right of the drivers side lower bolt.

So basically, if these bellhousing were setup for another tranny, the passenger side bolt pattern would be identical, but the drivers side bolts would be closer to the passenger side of the truck than the SM465 ones, and vertically spaced futher apart than stock 465..perhaps 2-3" total inches "taller" on the drivers side, and 2-3" closer to the passenger side.

16. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

it was me saying that.
    I have not confirmed it YET.
    tRusty is getting a hydro setup from someone and he has a nv4500 on hand to verify.
    I was jumping the gun a bit but I BELIEVE it to be true 80ish% anyway /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

17. tRustyK5

Th hydro bell deal fell through...I got most of the other parts but not the bell/forums/images/icons/frown.gif What I can do is measure the bolt hole spacing as compared to my spare 465 (old style) bell I have by trial fiting it on the NV4500 in my storage room.

I do know the input bearing retainer size is the same as the 465, and the input gear length from the face of the 465 is the same as the NV4500 input. Techically if the bolt hole mounts were modified to match the NV4500 the bell would work no problem.

rene

18. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The New Venture Gear 4500 is a heavy-duty five speed manual transmission. It is found in Chevy trucks from 1993 and Dodge trucks since 1995. Though it has it roots as the New Process 4500 four-speed beginning as early in 1972 in Dodge trucks, its current incarnation as we know it today is quite different.

[/ QUOTE ]

wonder why I never noticed this bit before

19. tRustyK5

Where did you find that tidbit?

I thought this was interesting too
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The bellhousing bolt patterns of all NV4500’s are different than any older GM 4 speed bellhousing. This means you cannot bolt a NV4500 directly to an older GM bellhousing. In the early years of the NV4500, the GM and Dodge units did not share a common bolt pattern on the front of the case. In 95’ and newer models, the front case bolt patterns of all NV4500’s were retooled to the Dodge configuration. Input bearing retainers and input gear sizes/lengths remain different among the Dodge and GM variety as do tailhousings and output shaft spline specifications.

[/ QUOTE ]

We'll see if it's possible to use the 465 Bell with some minor mods...

Rene

20. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the more i read the lower my faith % drops
    that was on Novaks site

define "minor"
    wonder if you could just drill the face of the 4500 to a new pattern and run bolts through the bell like the 420 mounting.
    betyacould
    that would fall under the heading of 'minor' to me.
    welding new bolt pattern to the bell to match would fall under 'major', but you being welderboy our perspectives differ.
    is the junk 'aluminum' even weldable?