Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's the deal with tow rig and diesel guys?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by divorced, Mar 8, 2005.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I don't even bother opening up any tow rig related posts anymore. There's just a bunch of whinebags posting in them anyway, there is little to be learned by anyone else who may read them. Why is ck5 slow these days you ask? Maybe the poor attitude of the members?

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Yes.

Sadly we've entered the realm of irony in complaining

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You know what? For some reason, ever since I can remember, the subject of towing and tow rigs has sparked controversy. It HAS to be an ego thing("my truck has 60 billion lb of torque and 9000 horsepower"). I was towing a TT on a regular basis when the Internet was in it's infancy about 8 years ago, and I can recall being laughed at in a little towing BBS because of my 6.2. Come to think of it, all the "laughers" were Cummins guys..................:whistle:

Sorry, I can't help you other than to suggest that it's a "mine is bigger than yours" thing. It may also be contributed to the fact that guys spend A LOT of money on their towing setups and feel the need to defend their expenditures?:dunno:

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I think it is a thing similar to asking which 3D modeling software is better, Solidworks or Pro-E. For some reason both topics bring out the Evangelist in people. They're determined to convert the rest of us 'heathens' to their 'one, true religion.'

There's an application for nearly every engine (& modeling package), and they all overlap somewhat. Let's try a little tolerence of other people's opinions. For a change.

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I agree with both you and Paul, and I'm not exactly sure what RJ said. To me it seems like a "my kid can beat up your kid" kind of thing. I usually just state what I like and why I like it rather than ripping on what others have, and the diesel/tow rig arguements seem to bring out the worst in us.

On a more positive note - I bet my tow rig can haul LESS than anyone else's on here. It's a '95 1/2 ton with a 4.3 and a 4L60E with 184,000+ miles!:p:

6. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Tow rig???

[​IMG]

7. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

"Sorry, I can't help you other than to suggest that it's a "mine is bigger than yours" thing. It may also be contributed to the fact that guys spend A LOT of money on their towing setups and feel the need to defend their expenditures?"

Could it be that some of us have been down the road of towing rigs with vehicles ( ie: 1/2 ton pickups,,sport utes and minivans ) and have finally moved up to a proper tow rig and are trying to educate others.

I for one can speak from experiance and it's not all about mines bigger than yours,,good power,proper brakes,suspension,hitches,mirrors all play a part in proper towing. Just because your minivan will pull a fully loaded rig doesn't mean it can do it safely. would you want your wife and kids driving down the highway with a minivan pulling 6000 lbs right behind her during a panic stop,,or a 3500 dually tow rig? I'll take the dually thank you,,,Think about the safety aspect and all will be put in prospective.
    YES,,,BIGGER IS BETTER...when it comes to tow rigs. CASE CLOSED.

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

And this makes the guy with a 6.2 a scumbag because he can't afford a Cumm-a-part..., oops.. I mean Cummins? There is a difference between childish macho attitude and education, the latter of which I have not witnessed here. Not much annoys me more that some redneck moron blowing by me at 95 MPH on the interstate in his hopped up diesel rig weighing 7,500 pounds - COMPLETE DISREGARD FOR THE SAFETY OF OTHERS! Most diesel guys have poor attitudes and have this "I'm more macho than you" thing going on. I'm glad I'm a sissy!

9. Can Can

First of all, I don't need to be educated on towing, thank you very much. I've been towing on an almost daily basis for 17 years.

Secondly, the confrontational/my-way-is best-tone of your reply is EXACTLY what everyone here is referring to. You are not discussing or sharing your opinions- you are TELLING us that your way is best, "CASE CLOSED". And that's basically how all the towing/tow rig threads end up in the toilet........

Lets try and keep this thread from aborting itself, lads.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The way I see it, if what you tow with is able too pull what you need to tow, that's all that matters.

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I had some of those cinnamon sugary donuts the other day; I'm here to tell y'all that they rock.

What is your favorite donut???????????????

12. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

My Dodge Cummins can spin donuts around your stupid Ford Powerstroke so there. I like glazed :rotfl:

13. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I like ALL donuts! Might have something to do with my secret desire to be a cop?

14. Can Can

Actually, my favorite donut of all time is called a "double chocolate". It's a chocolate cake donut topped with chocolate glaze.

I also like apple fritters.

15. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ya wanna see a "real"tow rig......................

.[​IMG]

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

At least it's a Turbo diesel...:whistle:

Rene

17. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

People with 305s make the best friends. We have nothing to prove.:D

18. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Bear Claws, now there's a donut.

19. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

"Secondly, the confrontational/my-way-is best-tone of your reply is EXACTLY what everyone here is referring to. You are not discussing or sharing your opinions-"

UHHHHMMM,did you miss somthing here???

I for one can speak from experiance and it's not all about mines bigger than yours,,good power,proper brakes,suspension,hitches,mirrors all play a part in proper towing.

THIS IS AN OPINION !!!!!!

"Think about the safety aspect and all will be put in prospective.
    YES,,,BIGGER IS BETTER...when it comes to tow rigs. CASE CLOSED".

"Care to dispute this fact ????"

Not once in my post did I say a 6.2 is a P.O.S.
    or compare a Cummins to a 6.2 ?
    where's the bias here ????
    I'm waiting,,,,

20. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

You forgot to mention your favorite doughnut... :ears: :ears: :ears: