Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats the deal with winches...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1979Jimmy, Jul 23, 2002.

1. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I cant figure out what is the deal with winches what does their capacity really mean. I mean I looked on ebay fior a bit and i see this ity bitty winch for 30 bucks with a 30000 pound capacity and then i see another winch off a 1 1/4ton dodge truck rated at 7,500 pounds. Whats the deal and what do the numbers really mean. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Sounds like some misprints to me. A $30 winch probably pulls 300#, not 30,000.

I think that winch load ratings are listed at their max rate, which means that you want to find one that's working rate (which is lower) will be sufficient for your rig. Therefore the rule is find one that's max rated 1 1/2 times the weight of your rig. Most guys get 9000# winches, because the gross vehicle weight of a blazer is supposed to be about 6000# or so.

I bought a 12K Warn because I keep a lot of heavy stuff in my rig and want to make sure I can get out of stuff like snow and mud, and because even I thought a 15K winch was overkill (tho I was tempted anyway).

Once you have the right weight, then which kind is up to you. Lots of posts on this. Do a search.

3. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

GVW pf a Blazer is about 4k I think. I have an 8500# PTO and it's rated at that number with only one wind on the spool. Sith two it get's cut in half.

4. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Actually GVWR on my 75 in 6300 which is not what it really weighs but thats the max its rated for. Actual weight maybe 4500-5500 depending on what you got in it.

5. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

ALL I KNOW IS A 9000 POUND WARN ALMOST DIDN'T GET MY SUBURBAN OFF THE ROCKS. THE REAL QUESTION WITH WINCHES IS WHAT TYPE OF POWER SOURCE TO USE, HYDROLIC, ELETRIC, OR POWER TAKE OFF. ALL HAVE +AND- 'S. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Mine is pretty much stock. I'll go weigh it tomorrow and let you know what it weighs without my dog in it. Geeesh I gots ta get her on a diet... SOON! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I have a 8274-50 warn winch and i can pull a loaded semi up a hill with it. Its all in how you use it. The use of a snatch-block can double its pulling capacity.